World Families Forums - Hope: Something to Write About

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 02:35:55 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Autosomal Block DNA Testing - "Family Finder" and "Relative Finder"
| | |-+  Hope: Something to Write About
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hope: Something to Write About  (Read 836 times)
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« on: July 30, 2013, 04:38:56 PM »

No one has posted in this subforum for awhile, so I will go ahead and post about something hopeful but which probably has little chance of working out the way I want it to.

I recently got a Family Finder match with a man whose surname is very similar to my own. His surname is Steven; mine is Stevens. I saw that and thought, hmmm . . . I wonder if our connection is on that surname line. I noticed that the man does not have y-dna results with FTDNA, so I attempted to contact him about that. Turns out his sister runs the kit and is the one interested in genealogy. She said her brother had tested with 23andMe (which does not test for STR's) and is L21+. Since I am also L21+, that sounded hopeful. I asked her to get her brother to do a y-dna STR test with FTDNA, pointing out that even a 12-marker test, for just $49, is better than nothing. She answered that her brother is unwilling to submit any more dna samples; however, within a couple of days, she wrote back saying she had talked a paternal uncle into testing (her father is deceased) for both Family Finder and y-dna.

Now I am hoping I get a y-dna match with this lady's uncle. He's only ordered a 12-marker test, but if we get an exact match, I don't think that will be a coincidence, and I might even spring for an upgrade.

I should just forget about it, at least for now, I know.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 04:39:35 PM by rms2 » Logged

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 08:45:37 PM »

It didn't work out. The man's y-dna haplotype did not match mine, so the Family Finder match must have come on some other line. Oh, well, back to the drawing board.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 10:51:22 PM »

Well, I have a new something to hope about: a Family Finder match with a man who has the same surname as I, has not yet been y-dna tested, and has a paper trail back to a mdka who was born in 1603 and who died in Connecticut in 1670. I'm guessing that's the immigrant.

Anyway, I shouldn't get my hopes up, but I emailed the man and asked him to consider a y-dna test, even if just a 12-marker test. Obviously, if we match on y-dna, the FF relationship is, at least in part, on our shared surname line.

Man, I hope he orders a test and we get a match!

Do things that good actually happen?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 09:09:14 AM by rms2 » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 17 queries.