World Families Forums - Match with 23 different surnames

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 08:17:39 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Newby Questions
| | |-+  Match with 23 different surnames
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Match with 23 different surnames  (Read 2807 times)
PaulaJ

« on: July 11, 2013, 11:36:38 PM »

My first experience with FTDNA was many years ago and it was very easy to see and understand my matches.  Now I am really confused.
I received the results of my son's YDNA test today and when I go to FTDNA and pull up matches it gives me two pages with 23 different surnames and none of them the same as his.  I have paperwork back several generations and in all of my research I have not run across any of the surnames listed.
I thought I should have at least some results with the same last name since we only did the 12 marker test and actually I thought we would be overrun with matches and would have to have more markers tested to define relationships.
So what I don't understand is why we did not have even one person with his surname and 23 with different surnames?
I tried to check his results against the ones in the project here but they haven't been posted yet and my eyes were running together trying to keep on the line of numbers on the page. 
So with all these different people coming up, where do I start?  None of the names have been in any of the research I have done so far.
R Walker

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 11:26:38 PM »

If you only did the 12 test, it is not uncommon to have lots of matches. You need to refine by doing the 37 or 67 test. Why are there no surnames like your son's? Because no related man that has that surname has tested. Or perhaps the surname was changed at some point. Or perhaps when surnames started, different families took the same surname but were not related genetically. Or perhaps there was a disruption in the male line, due to undocumented adoption, or different paternity.

If your son is one of the varieties of R1b, it is not unusual to have no matches, at 25, 37, or 67, but have lots of matches at 12. The closest match any of the three men in my family, brother, cousin, and in-law have, is the cousin who has a 60/67 match. And not with a family surname. This common ancestor would probably been before the 1600s. and neither has a genealogy back that far.

You need to test paternal uncles, cousins to find close matches.

R. Walker
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 17 queries.