World Families Forums - X Matches vs aDNA Matches

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 07:05:39 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  X-chromosome (X DNA) (Moderator: Se├ín MacGorman Powell)
| | |-+  X Matches vs aDNA Matches
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: X Matches vs aDNA Matches  (Read 4628 times)
MikeMcG

« on: June 08, 2013, 04:14:59 PM »

I am relatively new to DNA testing and I am still trying to understand how to use the information. Please feel free to tell me I am wrong where I am.

As a male, 100% of my XDNA comes from my mother and there is a tendency for the XDNA to concentrate in the various female lines since one of the male lines drop off every generation.  I understand that the contribution of my mother's X DNA passed to me may not be an exact 50/50 split of her father and mother but it is most probable that the largest contribution to my XDNA is from my mother's paternal grandmother, my great-grandmother. 

I am interpreting that based on the above, that I could use this in GEDmatch to help identify which of the aDNA matches are from my mother's side and perhaps even which parts of my aDNA are from my mother. 

Is it reasonable to assume that if there is a X chromosome match at a certain position and you could identify that match with a certain family line then it would be likely that another match at that position was also from someone in that same family line?    I realize only a small percentage of  people interested in genealogy are doing testing but, as long as the information is not misused, I can only think this will increase dramatically in the future.

I should add that my father's family is Catholic from Tipperary and my mother's family for the most part is Anglican from London, and I doubt if there is any significant overlap in a couple of thousand years.  The GEDmatch homozygosity utility indicates my parents are not related (everything zero).  I obviously am also using geographical information to also try to determine the contribution from each side of my family.

I am not yet sure of the best way to keep track of the various matches, but perhaps a spreadsheet for each chromosome. 

Any comments or suggestions?

Mike

Mike McG

FTDNA Y DNA67 Predicted M269+
23&me Y DNA R1b1b2a1a (L11?)
YSearch 4AKVE (DNA67 Haplotype DF27*)
Yseq DF27+, Z2571-

FTDNA mtDNA T2b4-T152C!
23&me mtDNA T2b

Recent Ancestry:
50% Southern Irish (Cashel, Tipperary)
50% Southern English (London)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 17 queries.