World Families Forums - test suggestions?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 11, 2014, 08:48:00 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'R'
| | |-+  Robbins (Moderator: Shirley Dunn)
| | | |-+  test suggestions?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: test suggestions?  (Read 270 times)
seabeelarry

« on: June 02, 2013, 06:18:50 AM »

what test is a good place to start?
A Y37, family finder or other??

I have a pretty good paper trail of my father's line, (ROBBINS), back to 1824, where I loose it.
(my GG grandfather)
In my family tree search, I have found references from different relatives as to where they immigrated from. (Scottish, German).

On my Mother's side, they have kept outstanding records going back to the early 1700's. So, I have been focusing on my father's side more.

Will a Y test help with the ROBBINS side heritage question & would it help to continue my line prior to 1824 ?

Or, as a co-worker suggested, should  do the Autosomal DNA test?

Thank you,

surname:  ROBBINS
Bronco480

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 05:52:58 PM »

Yes, a FTDNA test on a male Robbins relative will bring some answers to you, I'd say. It worked for me, anyway. Where is your Robbins line from in 1824?

what test is a good place to start?
A Y37, family finder or other??

I have a pretty good paper trail of my father's line, (ROBBINS), back to 1824, where I loose it.
(my GG grandfather)
In my family tree search, I have found references from different relatives as to where they immigrated from. (Scottish, German).

On my Mother's side, they have kept outstanding records going back to the early 1700's. So, I have been focusing on my father's side more.

Will a Y test help with the ROBBINS side heritage question & would it help to continue my line prior to 1824 ?

Or, as a co-worker suggested, should  do the Autosomal DNA test?

Thank you,
seabeelarry

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »

I have 2 reports...
One, said Niagara area of New York (could even be Canada side..???)

Secound, said New Jersey area...which I tend to believe more as my GG-grandmother was born in Essex, New Jersey, and still has family there.

And, thank you, I will follow up with the FTDNA Y-37 to start see where I go from there.

Thank you,

surname:  ROBBINS
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 19 queries.