World Families Forums - Neanderthal and R1b question

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2014, 09:55:54 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  Neanderthal and R1b question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Neanderthal and R1b question  (Read 801 times)
Arch Y.
Old Hand

« on: May 31, 2013, 02:22:45 PM »

Okay. Here is something I find interesting. I have 2.9% Neanderthal DNA and where the samples were allegedly taken from is near Varazdin, Croatia. So here is my big question: Why is R1b never found in Europe during the age of the Neanderthal that went extinct by around 30,000 years ago. Yet R1b is allegedly not that old and its origins is somewhere much further east. How is it possible that I have 2.9% of DNA belonging to Neanderthal when my ancestor subclade of R was non-existent or was just emerging somewhere on the eastern Asian steppes?

Arch
wing_genealogist

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 03:24:27 PM »

The Neanderthal DNA is found within autosomal DNA, not within the Y-DNA.

Y-DNA - R1b M157.2 (a private/family subclade of Z6/Z352) 111 markers tested

mt-DNA - J1c2g with the following private mutations: 315.1C 522.1A 522.2C C9974T C16256T (FMS tested and submitted to GenBank)

Autosomal - shows as a typical English ancestry. Tested with 23andMe, FTDNA
Arch Y.
Old Hand

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 03:34:38 PM »

The Neanderthal DNA is found within autosomal DNA, not within the Y-DNA.

But what does that mean? Somebody in my line had to interact with the Neanderthal in order to have that autosomal DNA. Are you telling me that my 2.9% is from my maternal line?

Arch
Jdean
Old Hand

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 03:44:58 PM »

But what does that mean? Somebody in my line had to interact with the Neanderthal in order to have that autosomal DNA. Are you telling me that my 2.9% is from my maternal line?

Arch

It's autosomal, it could come from 1000's of your lines (1 is extremely unlikely) OR it could be a ghost that exists due to modern man and Neanderthals having a common ancestor.

Y-DNA R-DF49*
MtDNA J1c2e
Kit No. 117897
Ysearch 3BMC9

Arch Y.
Old Hand

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 02:42:23 AM »

Arch

It's autosomal, it could come from 1000's of your lines (1 is extremely unlikely) OR it could be a ghost that exists due to modern man and Neanderthals having a common ancestor.

Hmm, I'm wondering about the latter option since most humans do not have more than 4%. I just find it intriguing that its DNA was extracted in Croatia, which would mean sometime beyond 30,000 years ago a precursor to perhaps to haplogroup P may have been around or near Europe. Or maybe it was at a time when MNOPS existed around the Middle East?

Arch
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 17 queries.