World Families Forums - LT John Sargent of Isle of Shoals, Saco and Casco MAine. B. abt 1640

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 05:30:59 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'S'
| | |-+  Sargent (Moderator: sargentAdmin)
| | | |-+  LT John Sargent of Isle of Shoals, Saco and Casco MAine. B. abt 1640
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: LT John Sargent of Isle of Shoals, Saco and Casco MAine. B. abt 1640  (Read 658 times)
pennykresl

« on: May 18, 2013, 02:05:55 PM »

I find it quite interesting all the data I have ran into on some of the Ancestral Sargent lines that repeatedly list a connection to LT John Sargent of Saco and Casco ,Maine(who died 1710 @ Blackpoint, Maine, *in documentation) to the John Sargent of Cornwall England that married Martha Axford? I find this assumption, somewhat incredulous!  However I have no proof that Digory's father, John Sargent, did or did not make it to America. But the John in Maine, was known to have had at least 3 documented sons, Edward b. abt 1658, Joseph and Benjamin. Joseph (was was also killed by Indians, possible the same day as LT John), and Benjamin(who was not killed by Indians to my knowledge, and is later documented in Court records). Benjamin and Joseph are both documented in The Genealogical Dictionary of NH & Maine as having children taken into captivity by the Indians in the area and possible taken to Canada.(just an added insert here is that the area Riviere-Ouelle, Quebec, Canada, is nearer to Maine, than Malborough, MA.)  Although again. It is possibly so. But we are left with why the male descendants of Louis Phillipe Langlais dit Serien, are matching our male Sergeant(Sargent) DNA who were known to have been in Maine, and not Digory's descendants in Massachusetts & Vermont? .

Confusing me is this JOHN Sargent, father of Digory in their family history, to the LT John Sargent in Maine? Will someone please explain their proof? Although very mysteriously I have asked the question (which no one has been able to answer) Who is the mysterious JOHN Sergeant listed a few entries above Digory Sergeant in the list of Soldiers in a Regiment of King Phillips war?

LT John Sargent of Saco/Casco, was said by Winthorp Sargent in his Sargent writings, to be  the supposed son of Stephen Sargent, master Fisherman of Isle of Shoals, and Richmond Island, who worked for Mr John Winters, through Sir Robert Trelawney of Co Devon, Plymouth, England. Stephen Sargent drowned @ Isle of Shoals in 1649, where his estate was inventoried by several Interested Creditors and Gentleman of Boston, MA. It looks like after Trewlawney died in Prison(in England as he never came over) and John Winters died. The daughter of John Winters inherited that Land in Maine when she married a Son of Rev Jordan. There is also another male mention that I am thinking quite possible may be another undocumented brother connected. A Stephen Sargent JR that shows up in the area in Maine and later in Boston(as my ancestor Thomas) Stephen m. a Dorothy Heald(Hale) (in Torrey marriages Pre 1699). To my knowledge they only had three daughters.

I am currently trying to connect my first Thomas Sargent of nearby Fort Pemaquid, MAINE  to this LT John Sargent of Saco. I can do so further if any male SARGENT descendants of Edward comes forward to do a Y DNA test.  Also The distance from Fort Pemaquid to Saco & Casco is very close. Both Stephen and Thomas would have been old enough to have been  brothers/half brothers to Edward, Joseph and Benjamin, if my assumption is correct.. Our 3 Male Sargents that our line had tested in the Sargent DNA study, apparently DO not match the Digory male line in the DNA Study thus far.., so something,  somewhere  in these written  genealogical outlines is erroneous..
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 03:44:27 PM by pennykresl » Logged
pennykresl

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 03:31:50 PM »

Here is a supposed list of Ruth Johnson & Thomas Sergeant's Children who were recorded in Scituate, Massachusetts and later Boston, MA bu 1705.

Not 100% positive on the sibling marriages, but time lines and locations are Boston. MA. I have tracked Samuel . 1744 back to Thomas Sargent & Elizabeth Thomson.back to Thomas and Ruth Johnson, who first are recorded as being in Ft Pemaquid Maine and where Ruth and her sister Mary Johnson, came from Marblehead, Massachusetts with their father Francis Johnson Jr. Francis Johnson Jr(not to be confused with his father Francis SR) was a LT under Capt Brian Pendleton @ the Fort during these Indian raids.

1 Thomas Sergeant b: Abt. 1661 in England or Maine d: April 11, 1711 in Boston, Suffolk Co., MA
.. +Ruth Johnson b: Abt. 1664 in Salem, MA m: Abt. 1690 in Scituate, Plymouth Co., MA d: in Boston, Suffolk Co., MA
. 2 Elizabeth Sergeant b: May 06, 1690 in Scituate Plymouth Co., MA
..... +Thomas Peck? m: 1706
. 2 Thomas Sergeant b: 1692 in Scituate, MA d: Bef. 1705 in Scituate, MA
. 2 William Sergeant b: April 07, 1696 in Scituate, MA
..... +Sarah Bignal m: May 24, 1728 in Boston, MA
. *2nd Wife of William Sergeant:
..... +Mercy Webber? m: May 03, 1736 in Boston, MA
. 2 Thaddeus Sergeant b: August 25, 1700 in Scituate, Plymouth Co., MA
..... +Sussanah Merret m: July 26, 1722 in Boston, MA
. 2 Mary Sergeant b: January 28, 1702/03 in Scituate, Plymouth Co., MA
..... +Peter Skillings? m: December 10, 1744 in Boston Suffolk Co., MA
. 2 Francis Sergeant b: July 17, 1705 in Boston, Suffolk Co., MA d: December 12, 1724 in Boston, Suffolk Co., MA
..... +Mary York m: August 09, 1722
. 2 Thomas Sergeant b: February 25, 1706/07 in Boston, MA d: December 31, 1788 in Boston, Suffolk Co., MA
..... +Elizabeth Tompson b: 1710 in Boston, Suffolk Co., MA? m: July 23, 1728 in Boston, Suffolk Co., MA d: May 19, 1770 in Boston, Suffolk Co., MA
. *2nd Wife of Thomas Sergeant:
..... +Frances Ellsworth b: 1709 m: August 13, 1770 in Boston Suffolk Co., MA d: February 21, 1795 in Boston, Suffolk Co., MA

There is some direct relation to the towns of Scituate, Marblehead, Salem and Newbury in MA. (possibly if I can prove Edward Sargent was a relative of my Thomas) as he died in Newbury. Stephen Sargent came here in the Fortune in 1632 @ Newbury MA, he deposes in Court of Higher Admiralty Records, with his  age. Stephen did write letters to his wife in England. Not sure if she ever made it here from England. i never have found her name. But it may be Joan. .
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 03:37:58 PM by pennykresl » Logged
pennykresl

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 01:49:21 AM »

Don't forget, that when I was looking at a list of Soldiers from the French & Indian war and found Digory listed in , I found a John Sergeant listed about 4 people up the page from him in the same Regiment!! Who is this John Sergeant, was it the john Sergeant who was son of William Sergeant of Malden or Barnstable? I don't think it was, he more than likely would have been in a regiment from his own home town!! So.....who is this John Sergeant listed right above Digory Sergeant?

He is listed first & appears on records as a soldier in King Philip's War, in the rolls of Boston men under, Capt. Daniel Henchman at Mendon, in November, 1675, & under Captain William Turner.
p.998

at the same place in March 1675-6 and under Lieut. Nathaniel Reynolds at
Chelmsford, Mass., in June 1676 (Bodge's "King Philip's War," pp.55, 240 &
279)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 18 queries.