World Families Forums - 1000 Genomes Follow Up Project

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 12:45:29 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  1000 Genomes Follow Up Project
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1000 Genomes Follow Up Project  (Read 755 times)
Solothurn

« on: May 07, 2013, 10:36:42 AM »

I got this email via rootsweb/Debbie Kennett and thought it may be of interest!

Every little helps :-)

"The team of citizen science researchers who mined the 1000 Genomes Project data in 2012 to discover many new R1b1a2 SNPs have now embarked on a follow-up project to further refine the R1b tree. They have obtained access to a collection of 1,000 whole genome samples from British men, and they are currently mining this dataset for novel genetic variants.

Because of the scale of the project they are fundraising in order to
purchase the reagents and consumables needed to develop new primer pairs and
to validate novel genetic variants using DNA sequencing. Further details of
the project can be found on this website:

http://www.justgiving.com/DNAforum

The team's first citizen science paper can be found here:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0041634

Rocca, R. A., Magoon, G., Reynolds, D. F., Krahn, T., Tilroe, V. O., Velde
Boots, den, P. M. O., & Grierson, A. J. (2012). Discovery of Western
European R1b1a2 Y Chromosome Variants in 1000 Genomes Project Data: An
Online Community Approach.

The original research introduced the DF and Z series SNPs which have greatly
helped to refine the various branches of the R1b1a2 tree. This new project
promises to provide even greater resolution for R1b men of British origin.

A new Twitter account has been established at @dnaforum. If you are on
Twitter perhaps you could help to spread the word there too.

Brian Swann kindly arranged for Andy Grierson, the UK researcher involved in
this project, to attend WDYTYA Live in February. I had the pleasure of
meeting Andy and can vouch for his enthusiasm and professionalism.

Please consider supporting this very worthy cause.

Best wishes

Debbie Kennett"

U152*
H1c3b
ysearch JSN4E
Jdean
Old Hand

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 10:51:59 AM »

Great to see some interest in this project !!!

Clicking on the 'Read more of my story' at the bottom of the page reveals incredible details of progress already made in DF49

analysis of the DF49 branch of R1b1a2 identified sixteen DF49+ men, and comparison of their Y chromosomes revealed over 50 new candidate variants that define 8 new branches and therefore refine the current DF49 phylogeny dramatically.  Importantly our analysis identifies new non-private genetic variants defining branches below M222.

Many thanks for posting this here.

Y-DNA R-DF49*
MtDNA J1c2e
Kit No. 117897
Ysearch 3BMC9

David Mc

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 05:57:06 PM »

Having a fairly strong interest in DF49 myself, I wonder if their DF49s are already included in the "R-DF49 and Subclades Project." It would be great to have an influx of 16 others to help fill in some of the significant gaps...

R-DF49*
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 07:14:09 PM »

I would like to see the haplotypes of these 1,000 British men or at least the haplotypes of those of them who are L21+.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:15:59 PM by rms2 » Logged

wing_genealogist

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 07:44:16 PM »

I had posted a question on another forum whether whole genome projects such as this 1K follow-up Project will be able to give accurate STR results. This is new territory for us, and I for one simply don't know whether the accuracy of these "next generation" tests will make STR results reliable.

Y-DNA - R1b M157.2 (a private/family subclade of Z6/Z352) 111 markers tested

mt-DNA - J1c2g with the following private mutations: 315.1C 522.1A 522.2C C9974T C16256T (FMS tested and submitted to GenBank)

Autosomal - shows as a typical English ancestry. Tested with 23andMe, FTDNA
Jdean
Old Hand

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 06:25:45 AM »

Having a fairly strong interest in DF49 myself, I wonder if their DF49s are already included in the "R-DF49 and Subclades Project." It would be great to have an influx of 16 others to help fill in some of the significant gaps...

According to Andy this sample was collected in the SW of England and most of the people in the DF49 project don't live anywhere near there.

Also these 16 people must contain M222 and presumably DF23 folk in order for him to have come up with his conclusions.

Don't forget they have only started processing about 1/3rd of the kits so expect plenty more news !!!

Y-DNA R-DF49*
MtDNA J1c2e
Kit No. 117897
Ysearch 3BMC9

Jdean
Old Hand

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 06:37:10 AM »

According to Andy this sample was collected in the SW of England and most of the people in the DF49 project don't live anywhere near there.

Also these 16 people must contain M222 and presumably DF23 folk in order for him to have come up with his conclusions.

Don't forget they have only started processing about 1/3rd of the kits so expect plenty more news !!!

Details of where the samples came from have been posted on the Genealogy-DNA mailing list.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/alspac/participants/

Y-DNA R-DF49*
MtDNA J1c2e
Kit No. 117897
Ysearch 3BMC9

Dubhthach
Old Hand

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 10:14:10 AM »

I'm assuming though they didn't collect from people who just have deep ancestry in region. There's been alot of migration throught and fro England over the last 150 years so M222+ samples they have could have originated elsewhere in genealogical time.

As an example there are up to at least 12million people living in Britain who have some Irish ancestry some stage over last 170 years.

-Paul
(DF41+)
Jdean
Old Hand

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 10:19:01 AM »

That's what I was thinking as well, Bristol's a big place and very cosmopolitan !!

Y-DNA R-DF49*
MtDNA J1c2e
Kit No. 117897
Ysearch 3BMC9

Dubhthach
Old Hand

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 12:00:48 PM »

That's what I was thinking as well, Bristol's a big place and very cosmopolitan !!

King Henry II did gift the city of Dublin to the men of Bristol after the invasion. For example we see: Ralph of Bristol (died 1232) as Bishop of Kildare. Kildare is on the boundary of "M222-land" in context of pre-invasion Ireland.

Bristol was also the main port of entry to England from South-East of Ireland. Going on the 1851 census 3.4% of population of Bristol were Irish born:

http://books.google.ie/books?id=9oAOAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA37&lpg=PA37&dq=%22the+irish+in+bristol+in+1851%22&source=bl&ots=0JJIkiYGxz&sig=HrliyCBA78uv3sUtP9pxa-B3__o&hl=en&sa=X&ei=CXaKUaeiLMO6hAe1qoCIBQ&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

-Paul
(DF41+)
David Mc

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 01:56:30 AM »

Thanks for clarifying-- I hadn't noted the Bristol context.

R-DF49*
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 19 queries.