World Families Forums - Genographic Geno 2 or FT DNA Family Finder?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 04:27:33 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Genographic Geno 2 or FT DNA Family Finder?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Genographic Geno 2 or FT DNA Family Finder?  (Read 1130 times)
Trish13
Old Hand

« on: April 22, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »

Hi All :)

I have discussed this matter with some forum members, before, but would appreciate as much advice as possible from the knowledgeable people on this site, please.

Thank you!

My brother has already taken a Y-DNA test for my father's line.

My Mum's maternal cousin has taken a Y-DNA test for one great grandfather's line.

My Mum's paternal cousin is taking a Y-DNA test for another great grandfather's line.

Either Mum or I will be taking a MtDNA test, which will lead to one great grandmother and beyond.

I am in touch with other relatives who, I hope, will be willing to take MtDNA tests for my three other great grandmothers.

My Mum's 4th cousin has also taken a Y-DNA test which covers one of our lines.

Now, what about a general autosomal test ~ taken by my brother ~ to fill in some of the gaps?

Which would be more useful, Genographic Geno 2 or FT DNA Family Finder?

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Thank you :)
R Walker

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 12:21:01 AM »

I would not bother with the Geno 2.0 for your mother. you will not find out anything more, or even as much, as you already have with the mtDNA test.

What gaps are you trying to fill in? Looks like you've already covered the direct yDNA lines. The mtDNA lines are not as useful for finding related persons for females as is the yDNA test for males. If you do mtDNA it should be on the oldest person, you mother.

I would recommend the 23andMe test which is on sale now for $99, and have the results transferred to FTDNA Family Finder for $89. I would recommend testing both your mother, and your brother, to get a wide array of of autosomal results, which will find relatives on other lines, not direct, such as your mother's father's line, or your father's mother's line.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 12:22:06 AM by R Walker » Logged

R. Walker
Trish13
Old Hand

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 08:01:26 PM »

Hello R Walker. :)

Thank you for getting back to me and for the advice.

I'll get Mum to do the mtDNA test when it arrives and have a good think about this.

I actually have relatives who could take DNA tests for all but one of my great grandparents' direct lines ~ ie mtDNA for women and Y-DNA for men.

That would still leave gaps in my wider background, going right back,  such as the father's lines of the women, etc, and the one ggfather I don't know about. As you say, 'relatives on other lines, not direct, such as your mother's father's line, or your father's mother's line. ' That was the sort of thing I was thinking about.

I shall ask my brother to do the autosomal test, if I get it done, but, just out of interest, please, if I were thinking only of my father's DNA, would it be better, or no different, for his brother to do the test, or his son (ie. my brother)?

The Family Finder is currently on sale for $169, which makes it cheaper than the $188 that 23+Me would cost in total. Maybe that's the way to go ~ if I'm quick :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:50:14 AM by Trish13 » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 18 queries.