World Families Forums - Finding answers to just general questions

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 11, 2014, 01:13:03 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Finding answers to just general questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Finding answers to just general questions  (Read 1134 times)
brendamartinobecker

« on: April 05, 2013, 11:11:28 AM »

I'm new here, and brand new to the world of DNA testing for genealogy. Excited about it definitely, but so, so confused!!! I need a place where I can just ask general questions, not to do with the "how dna works" yet, but more of the where do I start and what do I do with it!! :)
I've had an Ancestry.com membership for many years. I have met new family members, found answers to genealogy questions, and even found my dad's family in Italy(including birth, marriage and death records), something I had been told since I was little was never going to be available to us! I've even determined that my dad's dad and his mom's families have intermarried several times in past generations, something I am sure that neither one of them knew about in their lives.
However. When I first started thinking about doing DNA testing, I just assumed I would go with Ancestry. Well, then I heard about a YDna test from FTDNA that was only $39.00! Plus my dad's surname was listed in a project there, so I went ahead and ordered it. It's just 12 markers.... and he hasn't received it yet, but I figured it was a place to start.
So my question now is where do I do autosomal testing for myself? Ancestry, 23andme, or FTDNA, which I would have to save for a little while to pay for that one?
I promise all my questions won't be so long.....I do have more, I'll do separate posts though!
Thank you!
brokenrover

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 11:52:37 AM »

You will get the most information at the lowest cost by going to Geno 2.0 ($199.00) and the results can be transferred to FTDNA if it is your dad's DNA that is checked since he already has an account there.  If you do yours, you will receive no information on your dad's Y chromosome since you don't have a y chromosome.  You would also receive information on your dad's mother since he carries her mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) and her haplogroup could be established through your dad's test.  To determine your own mother's haplogroup either she or you or another of your siblings (male or female) could be tested.

Hope this has been helpful
brendamartinobecker

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 06:11:06 PM »

Thank you for your reply!
Geno 2.0 is National Geographics' testing site? Okay, so if I use them, I can then transfer to FTDNA if I already have an account there? Hmmm,  okay, I get that my dad's will be a YDNA, and mine an autosomal, but I guess I thought if they were related to the same ancestral tree, they would be linked together somehow....
I still have so much to learn, which is why I need to learn all this before ordering any more tests!
brokenrover

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 10:27:51 AM »

Your dad's DNA if tested at Nat Geo will have large parts of his yDNA analyzed along with parts of the X chromosome that he carries as well as some autosomal DNA.  A major consideration is your exact purpose for testing.  If it is to find connections within the last few hundred years a check of the STRs would be more revealing and could be done at FTDNA.  If on the other hand you want to get more information on your deeper ancestors the SNP testing at Nat Geo is the most economical way to get a large number of SNPs tested.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 18 queries.