World Families Forums - AncestryDNA

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 05:53:04 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  AncestryDNA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AncestryDNA  (Read 1138 times)
Trish13
Old Hand

« on: March 25, 2013, 11:50:57 AM »

Hi :)

I have received an offer to purchase the 'AncestryDNA' test for only $99. This seems like a good deal, especially as I have my family trees posted on 'Ancestry'.

For a while, it seemed that this test was only available in America, but the offer now seems to extend to the UK.

On the one hand it looks like a bargain, but, on the other hand, I have had my DNA testing to date done through FTDNA.

I think that 'AncestryDNA' must be similar to Family Tree's 'Family Finder', which costs $289.

'AncestryDNA' provides:
'Full breakdown of genetic ethnicity
A list of new relatives updated in real-time
Personal results delivered online in weeks
Simple integration with Ancestry.com
A test for both men and women'

I am very tempted at that price, but would like to know what others think, please:)
wing_genealogist

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 12:16:29 PM »

AncestryDNA finally (after much pressure from purchasers) agreed to allow folks who purchased this test to actually be able to access the raw data.

However, they still fail to provide any means to show how much DNA you share in common with your matches, so you basically have to take their word for it that your DNA did match. There is a push on now to try to get AncestryDNA to provide tools to compare DNA matches.

AncestryDNA basically uses the same chip as FTDNA and 23andMe, so overall there results are quite comparable to each other. However, 23andMe also adds more SNPs to their tests, and not only shows where your common segments are with matches, but also shows medical information (which must be taken with a grain of salt).

AncestryDNA and 23andMe both charge $99 for their tests (which are subsidized by commercial parties as well as the deep pockets of both companies). FTDNA currently does not have either the financial backers or deep pockets to offer a . It wouldn't surprise me if FTDNA eventually abandons their Family Finder chip (especially given the fact they provide the National Geographic Society with the Geno test).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:17:51 PM by wing_genealogist » Logged

Y-DNA - R1b M157.2 (a private/family subclade of Z6/Z352) 111 markers tested

mt-DNA - J1c2g with the following private mutations: 315.1C 522.1A 522.2C C9974T C16256T (FMS tested and submitted to GenBank)

Autosomal - shows as a typical English ancestry. Tested with 23andMe, FTDNA
Trish13
Old Hand

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 09:11:32 PM »

Hi wing_genealogist :)

Thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciated. : )

I'm still not sure what to do, though.  : (
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 18 queries.