World Families Forums - John Posey b. 3/2/1837

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 08:43:40 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'P'
| | |-+  Posey (Moderator: Libby Siskron)
| | | |-+  John Posey b. 3/2/1837
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: John Posey b. 3/2/1837  (Read 1244 times)
WebMaster
Administrator
Old Hand

« on: March 02, 2013, 11:11:44 AM »

My 2nd great grandfather was named John Posey b. 3/2/1837 and d. 1/18/1892 in Warrick co.,Indiana. I have tried for two years to find his parents on Ancestry.com, etc. with no luck. Census info has not been helpful because in 1840 it was a slave report and by 1850 he was married and living on his own. I have found no other records that can be definitely tied to his very common name.
I hope that he may fit into the Posey study or that someone has a suggestion for me.
I am female but have a brother. What should be my next step?

jlandin@pacifier.com
Steve in Oro Valley

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 09:22:24 PM »

Hi:

Captain John Posey, close friend of George Washington who was possibly the father of General Thomas Posey, (Governor of Indiana Territory) lived in Fairfax Virginia and after settling his  debts moved to Chester PA and then died in abt 1790 ......

When John was the owner of the estate, Rover's Delight, he owned slaves, even advertised little mulatto babies of his "house wenches" in the Maryland Gazette in 1769.

Seems strange to most of us, I'm sure, but Capt. John Posey was always short of money and slaves were property that could be sold for money,,,,,

Your Indiana John Posey might might related to this Posey..

Just a thought,

Steve in Oro Valley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 18 queries.