World Families Forums - Which Y-DNA Test

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2015, 01:01:46 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Which Y-DNA Test
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which Y-DNA Test  (Read 256 times)
mbare

« on: December 24, 2014, 10:55:49 AM »

Greetings,  

First, I'm just learning about DNA Genealogy.  Yesterday I ordered the Y-DNA67 kit from Family Tree DNA.  Today I was reading through the paragraphs that accompanied them and I now have questions.  The Y-DNA67 kit says it matches within 6 generations, but the Y-DNA37 kit says it matches within 8 generations.  

Isn't 8 generations better than 6 and the price is cheaper.

The url of the screen capture, to show what I was reading.

Screen Capture
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:58:40 AM by mbare » Logged

---
Piggott Arkansas Bare
Word Families Bear-Barr Family DNA Project
http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/bear/
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 11:40:46 PM »

I wish I could change that explanation at FTDNA.  It is very confusing and wouldn't be particularly helpful even if it was written more clearly. 

1. More markers are better - as long as the people you are matching are testing at least to the level you have tested (and/or will test to your level in future).

2. The 67 yDNA test has become the most rational first test over recent years - particularly when it's on sale - as now.  Testing at 37 markers is adequate for some folks - and when it isn't, they can always upgrade.  With the current sale pricing, the later cost to upgrade to 67 ($99 when not on sale) will make the 37 yDNA testing choice now more expensive in total.

3. The analysis of how many generations to your match is confusing and in my opinion highly flawed - unless you understand and use the confidence interval that FTDNA provides.  When you use the confidence interval, the calculation is valid and disappointingly vague.  But - if you try to pick a probability that you "like" while ignoring the confidence interval, then your understanding will be very distorted.

Terry

ps - take some time to review this info:  http://www.worldfamilies.net/qsstart
mbare

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 09:13:42 AM »

Thank you for your reply.  I've looked through your link and well... should I y-DNA test my son or husband?  Is it the oldest living relative will net the best results?

---
Piggott Arkansas Bare
Word Families Bear-Barr Family DNA Project
http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/bear/
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 18 queries.