World Families Forums - What are the costs options?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 01:53:03 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Newby Questions
| | |-+  What are the costs options?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What are the costs options?  (Read 3329 times)
sambert

« on: February 21, 2013, 02:57:43 AM »

I am very new to DNA, but B Sykes book on DNA-USA was fascinating.

My cousin has a big database of our Swiss family, which goes back 20 plus generations.
We have blue French ancestors, and hence also some German blood, but no doubt other as well.
Recently we have married English and American wives/husbands.

What should I be asking for, and where to start (with what budget) ?
R Walker

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 12:35:45 AM »

Did anyone ever answer your question? Perhaps we need to know what you hope to find out. There seems to be a substantial family tree for your family. Did you hope to confirm the direct male line? That would be a yDNA test, best from FamilyTree DNA. Did you hope to find more relatives, or have a brick wall? That would be an autosomal test, either Family Finder by FTDNA (no y or mt results those have to be ordered separately). Or 23andMe which will include your y and mt determination, and give health results. There is also a test by Ancestry, but I am not familiar with it, as to comparisons with FTDNA Family Finder, or 23andMe. There is a range of costs with the different tests. Price is not always the best determinant. You need to choose which most fits your goals.

Once you are more clear on your goals, write back and someone may be able to give clearer direction.

R. Walker
rangie11

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 08:33:39 PM »

Could you explain just a little more about what 23andme is and what options we have to find DNA tests.  Our familys will be testing soon for two surnames. My father's and my mother's.  We have decided we need to educate our selves more first.  Your comments are spot on for me.  What is our goal?  In our case we have reached a wall.  We have several accomplished persons doing research and have arrived at the decision we need DNA in some way from some place that can help us continue our search. 

rangie
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 18 queries.