World Families Forums - FTDNA's Incredible $39 12-Marker Y-DNA Test Sale

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 07:16:24 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  FTDNA's Incredible $39 12-Marker Y-DNA Test Sale
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: FTDNA's Incredible $39 12-Marker Y-DNA Test Sale  (Read 1001 times)
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« on: February 20, 2013, 09:35:04 PM »

FTDNA has 12-marker y-dna tests on sale now for just $39! Whoa!

I know 12 markers aren't much, but it's a way to get people in the genetic genealogy door. I'm trying to recruit people. I think some of my friends may actually order a test now.

http://www.familytreedna.com/landing/Y-DNA12-Promo.aspx

seferhabahir
Old Hand

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 11:42:09 AM »

I've gotten a possible cousin (someone whose surname matches a line in my tree but we don't know yet if it is a real link) to sign up for the 12 marker test. That combined with his Geno 2.0 results when they come in will help determine the answer.

Y-DNA: R-L21 (Z251+ L583+)

mtDNA: J1c7a

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 08:46:41 PM »

I have friend who said he will probably order the test this evening, and I just got an email from his wife about 30 minutes ago asking what she should test for, which is a good sign.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 08:54:38 PM »

I have friend who said he will probably order the test this evening, and I just got an email from his wife about 30 minutes ago asking what she should test for, which is a good sign.

I just heard from my friend's wife. She not only ordered the 12-marker y-dna test for him but mtDNA tests for herself and him.

Cool!

(I should get a commission from FTDNA.)

Arch Y.
Old Hand

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 02:46:04 AM »

FTDNA has 12-marker y-dna tests on sale now for just $39! Whoa!

I know 12 markers aren't much, but it's a way to get people in the genetic genealogy door. I'm trying to recruit people. I think some of my friends may actually order a test now.

http://www.familytreedna.com/landing/Y-DNA12-Promo.aspx

At least its a start and an easy way to transition into the genetic testing world. Hopefully by the time the 12 marker participants get involved the prices for upgrade to at least 37 or 67 markers will be reasonable enough for them to take the bait.

Arch
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 10:27:54 PM »

I agree. I have another friend who has expressed an interest and may order now because of the sale price. His surname is Quinn. He knows his ancestry is Irish, but that's about it, and he would like to find out more. That, and his wife is expecting a baby boy in early April.

Trish13
Old Hand

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 11:16:58 PM »

Hi :)

Do you think that 12-marker matches are worth following up?
I rarely look at them.
Should I?
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 11:22:09 PM »

I rarely look at them.
Should I?

Yes, definitely, especially if the surname is yours. I found a second cousin once removed via an exact 12-marker match.

Trish13
Old Hand

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 11:35:20 PM »

I'll take another look then :)

Thanks.
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 09:47:35 AM »

I rarely look at them.
Should I?

Yes, definitely, especially if the surname is yours. I found a second cousin once removed via an exact 12-marker match.

I should expand on that somewhat by saying that my second cousin subsequently upgraded to 37 markers and that our exact match held up at 37. I wish he would upgrade some more, but he isn't as interested as I am.

Anyway, I was able to find his entry in the family book written by one of my paternal great grandaunts, which confirmed the y-dna match with paper trail info.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 18 queries.