World Families Forums - Reduction in number of matches

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 03:17:28 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  Reduction in number of matches
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reduction in number of matches  (Read 282 times)
frankgart

« on: February 15, 2013, 11:39:58 AM »

I've tested to 67 on YDNA and FGS for MTDNA on FTDNA's site. I'm an M222 so have a large number of matches.  Even my MTDNA has a large number of matches, including 14 on FGS (distance 1-4).  I used to get new matches nearly every week in both YDNA and MTDNA, but over the last year the number of matches have declined sharply and continue to decline in number, which I assume means fewer people are getting tested now.  Have others experienced this also?  Is it due to the economic downturn or are we reaching some saturation point in the number of people interested in genetic genealogy?

Y = M222
MTDNA = T1a1c
chris1

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 12:40:53 PM »

I've tested to 67 on YDNA and FGS for MTDNA on FTDNA's site. I'm an M222 so have a large number of matches.  Even my MTDNA has a large number of matches, including 14 on FGS (distance 1-4).  I used to get new matches nearly every week in both YDNA and MTDNA, but over the last year the number of matches have declined sharply and continue to decline in number, which I assume means fewer people are getting tested now.  Have others experienced this also?  Is it due to the economic downturn or are we reaching some saturation point in the number of people interested in genetic genealogy?
I've noticed it too. Maybe it is partly down to people having less spare money for hobbies.
The recent University of Leicester Richard III project got a lot of publicity in Britain, everyone seemed to be talking about it. Maybe things like that, TV history documentaries using DNA evidence etc, will boost interest.
gtc
Old Hand

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 07:05:09 PM »

Is it due to the economic downturn or are we reaching some saturation point in the number of people interested in genetic genealogy?

Economic situation: quite possibly. Saturation: I don't know, but there are more competitors in the field now for the genetic genealogical dollar so that may be having an effect, too.

Y-DNA: R1b-Z12* (R1b1a2a1a1a3b2b1a1a1) GGG-GF Ireland (roots reportedly Anglo-Norman)
mtDNA: I3b (FMS) Maternal lines Irish
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 18 queries.