World Families Forums - DNA

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 03:52:32 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  DNA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DNA  (Read 419 times)
wmponce

« on: January 17, 2013, 01:24:10 PM »

Good morning.  I have hit a brick wall on my father's side (Russell) and can only go back to 1825 birth TN birth for my great grandfather.  I have completed the Ancestry DNA project and have found 4 cousins on mother's side.  I have 2 living brothers but they won't give it up. (dysfunctional family)  Additionally, I completed the Nat Geo maternal dna project. I was wondering if anyone thinks it would be helpful to complete the FT dna project also. I have reviewed the Russell surname forum but did not find any possible connection.
Thank you.

Wanda Russell McDonald
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 02:13:17 PM »

The ancestryDNA test you did is "whole ancestry" and unlikely to help your Russsell research very much

You could do a yDNA test on a male Russell family member and see if that identifies the other Russell families who share paternal ancestry with your father.  If your brothers won't help - a male Russell nephew or cousin - even a 3rd or 4th cousin can provide the profile you need. 

You would use this link to order and order a 37 or 67 yDNA test. 

http://www.familytreedna.com/group-join.aspx?Group=russell

Terry
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 17 queries.