World Families Forums - Accelerated SNP mutations caused by a lack of genetic diversity

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 03:57:47 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  Accelerated SNP mutations caused by a lack of genetic diversity
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Accelerated SNP mutations caused by a lack of genetic diversity  (Read 541 times)
Webb
Old Hand

« on: January 06, 2013, 11:27:37 PM »

My question is this.  Can a lack of genetic diversity accelerate snp mutations?  I will use my snp as an example.  I am Z220, which is found all across Europe from southern Germany to northern Italy, west to Spain up to Britain and east to the Ukraine, Poland, and the Slavic countries.  The next snp downstream is Z216/ Z278 which is found in Britain, France, and Spain, then Z214 which is found in France and Spain, then finally M153 which is just found in Spain, mainly among the basque.  It seems that these snp changes speed up as you get closer to the terminal.  The basque also have the highest rate of rh- blood type in Europe at 35 to 40%.  This is likely as a result of a lack of genetic diversity as the rate of double recessive trait is much higher.  My whole point of this thought is could this skew the dating process of some snp's.

William B. Webb
P312>DF27>Z220
Maliclavelli
Guru

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 12:52:52 AM »

This happens for every haplogroup and every subclade, but the reason is another: that every place has its own mutations and that, if there isn't another expansion, are limited to that place or other subclades rule in those other places. R-L23 is very diffused, but R-L51 happened in Italy (someone would add also France). We found elsewhere R-L51 subclades, because from Italy there happened an expansion. R-L21 was born somewhere in Western Europe (Spain?, France?) but didn't reach Italy again because its expansion happened to Western Europe and not Southwards ... and so on.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 12:53:55 AM by Maliclavelli » Logged

Maliclavelli

YDNA: R-S12460

MtDNA: K1a1b1e

Mike Walsh
Guru

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 11:04:06 AM »

My question is this.  Can a lack of genetic diversity accelerate snp mutations?  ...
I've asked questions about this kind of thing and looked around. I can no scientific evidence or research that supports us. If someone has a research paper on this, please bring it forward?

On the other hand you might want to read the research on wave-surfing, particularly as it relates to R1b. Sometimes new alleles happen to ride on a wave of population growth, the result is lower STR diversity at least in terms of total breadth. At the same time, the large number of new, surviving births is increasing the total number of SNPs found.

Consider this -  STR diversity requires more generations. The mutation of an absolute number of additional SNPs does not require more generations, just more births that survive to provide for more births.  STR diversity does not necessarily grow because of larger, better surviving nuclear families.  No matter how many sons a father has, for most ordinary STR mutations, the allele will only or increase or decrease by a value of one.

The absolute number of SNP mutations does grow with larger, better surviving familes as well as with more generations. The more sons a father has, the more likely new SNPs will occur. Every birth could result in an entirely different SNP that is unique in its own right.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:09:43 AM by Mikewww » Logged

R1b-L21>L513(DF1)>S6365>L705.2(&CTS11744,CTS6621)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 18 queries.