World Families Forums - A Desire to Oversimplify Migration

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 07:09:42 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  A Desire to Oversimplify Migration
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Desire to Oversimplify Migration  (Read 739 times)
EthiopianSon

« on: December 27, 2012, 12:08:31 PM »

Perhaps I have been reading the wrong stuff, but theories about migrations of various DNA groups almost always seem to imply there was a single bunch of people that wandered around together for hundreds/thousands of years and then one day settled in some location of particular relevance to the person making the theory.

Just as an example, if you take R1b, some people say it entered Europe via the Mediterranean, others via the Danube and still others via the more northerly Steppes. Seeing as the haplogroup was formed thousands of years ago surely it is very likely that it quickly splintered into many many many different groups, some of which subseqently moved into Europe via different routes and at different times?

Why is it it always seems that people put forward one route/one point in time theories?
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 02:33:06 PM »

You have to remember that "R1b" in these discussions does not usually actually mean R1b, i.e., R-M343. It is code or shorthand for something much younger and much further downstream, like R-M269, at the oldest, or R-L11, or something in between. I don't think anyone is arguing "R1b" entered Europe at the M343 stage in its development.

EthiopianSon

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 07:02:27 AM »

Are you serious or joking? (where are the emoticons around here?) People posting X when they mean Y is a different issue, but doesn't help matters either.
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 09:27:51 AM »

Are you serious or joking? (where are the emoticons around here?) People posting X when they mean Y is a different issue, but doesn't help matters either.

I'm serious. A lot of people use "R1b" as a shorthand for R-M269, R-L11, or one of the haplogroups in between those two. It's just easier, especially when you're unsure at just exactly what SNP stage they were.

Very few people are goofy enough to think that our ancestors entered Europe as R-M343.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 17 queries.