World Families Forums - A SNP tested by Geno 2.0 now mean FTDNA a la carte test not available later?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 01:11:50 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  A SNP tested by Geno 2.0 now mean FTDNA a la carte test not available later?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A SNP tested by Geno 2.0 now mean FTDNA a la carte test not available later?  (Read 1021 times)
delegz

« on: December 05, 2012, 03:20:13 PM »

I'm U152/L2/Z49/Z142+  L562-/L594-  and I'd like to test for Z150 downstream. Geno 2.0 does test for this SNP, but instead of forking over more money to get the entire gamut of non-U152 SNPs tested for by Geno 2.0 now, if possible I'd rather save some money by waiting until FTDNA offers an a la carte test for Z150 at some point down the line.

What are the chances that I could be waiting indefinitely for a particular a la carte test to become available? 

Thanks
gtc
Old Hand

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 04:37:40 PM »

I'm U152/L2/Z49/Z142+  L562-/L594-  and I'd like to test for Z150 downstream. Geno 2.0 does test for this SNP, but instead of forking over more money to get the entire gamut of non-U152 SNPs tested for by Geno 2.0 now, if possible I'd rather save some money by waiting until FTDNA offers an a la carte test for Z150 at some point down the line.

What are the chances that I could be waiting indefinitely for a particular a la carte test to become available? 

Thanks

Thomas Krahn, FTDNA's lab director, is on record as saying that he will endeavor to provide as many "new" Geno 2 SNPs as possible for individual testing, once they are published.

Y-DNA: R1b-Z12* (R1b1a2a1a1a3b2b1a1a1) GGG-GF Ireland (roots reportedly Anglo-Norman)
mtDNA: I3b (FMS) Maternal lines Irish
wing_genealogist

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 04:53:15 PM »

It must be remembered that the differences between the chip-based GenoChip and the standard SNP testing at FTDNA means in some rare cases FTDNA may not be able to make a SNP available for an a la carte purchase (just as some SNPs FTDNA has available cannot be placed on the GenoChip).

I'm not exactly sure WHY this happens, but I do know this does happen (on rare occasions). I also don't know which SNPs fall into this (fortunately limited) circumstance.

Y-DNA - R1b M157.2 (a private/family subclade of Z6/Z352) 111 markers tested

mt-DNA - J1c2g with the following private mutations: 315.1C 522.1A 522.2C C9974T C16256T (FMS tested and submitted to GenBank)

Autosomal - shows as a typical English ancestry. Tested with 23andMe, FTDNA
Peter M

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 07:16:49 PM »

Thanks

These chances are significant, as FT-DNA are offering an à la carte test for only a minority of all known SNPs and a few have been "in the pipeline" for a significant amount of time.

In your case it might be an idea to get a little bit more active and prepare a full business case for FT-DNA; after all they are in this trying to make money.

Get a group of people together who confirm in writing (email) that they are planning to order the SNP when it gets available. If you have such a list (and I guess one or two people will be less than impressive), we will suggest further steps.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 17 queries.