World Families Forums - An Un-Pedigreed Mystery!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 10:45:17 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'W'
| | |-+  Womack (Moderator: Robert Burke)
| | | |-+  An Un-Pedigreed Mystery!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: An Un-Pedigreed Mystery!  (Read 529 times)
RCrumpton

« on: November 07, 2012, 11:59:55 PM »

Hello everyone!

As you will note, I do not carry the name Womack.  Because of this, I may be of little use to your project.  I am hopeful, however, that your project will turn out to be of great benefit to me.  A little selfish, right?

What follows is a long way of describing the question "who is my great great grandfather?"

My great grandfather, Thomas Jefferson Crumpton (b 1882) was son of Amanda Crumpton, who we believe was daughter of Thomas & Sarah Crumpton.  There are not even familial rumors (at least that I am aware of) about who TJ Crumpton's father might have been.  I have been curious since I was very young, and have been watching genealogical DNA with interest for some time.  Recently, I decided to try it out and see what might develop.  My yDNA has shown some sort of relationship with several Womack's, which is what lead me to this project.  I have had 111 markers identified (only 67 of which have yet been listed), and it appears that the connection remains strong.  For reference, my kit is B3144.

I am new to this game, but I know that TJ Crumpton was born in Paulding, GA in 1882.  His mother was also from this area.  Because of what appears to be a Womack connection, I began looking at the several Womack's in the 1880 Paulding County, Georgia census.  Of the several Womack's in that census, there are eight that appear to me to be 'persons of interest'.  Side note: if anyone more educated on genetic genealogy knows me to be barking up the wrong tree, or would advise that I look in other directions, please please let me know!

Anyway!  The eight Womack's that have peaked my interest are:
        (3)James Mathews Womack, b jun 1827 in Dekalb, GA, d Apr 1911 in Etowah, AL*
        (3)John W Womack, b  Oct 1827 in Bartow, GA, d Apr 1911 in Etowah, AL*
        (3)William Larkin Womack, b 27 Jun 1832 in GA, d 10 May 1863 in Chancellorsville, VA*
        (3)Robert Mathew Marion Womack, b 26 Jan 1838 in Stewart, GA, d 1919 in Floyd, GA**
            (4)Matthew Thomas Womack, b 1863 in Paulding Co, GA, d 3 Oct 1928 in Paulding Co, GA**
            (4)William Womack, b abt 1863 in GA*
        (3)William Riley Womack, b14 Feb 1842 in Stewart, GA, d 31 Dec 1914 in Floyd, GA**
        (3)Thomas Henry Womack, b28 Jan 1852 in GA, d 9 Sep 1924 in Paulding, GA**

This group of Womack's appear to me to be descended from Thomas J (1807-1880), Bird (1785-1841), Josiah (1732-1800), Thomas (1706-1780), Richard II (1674-1723), etc, etc.

If any members here are descended of this line, I would be very interested in viewing your data and your trees.

This is also an open request for any of you more DNA-educated people to guide me to the right path.

Thanks for listening!
RCrumpton

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 09:36:31 AM »

Slow down the responses!  I can't keep up!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:08:27 PM by RCrumpton » Logged
RCrumpton

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 10:21:31 PM »

For anyone that may be reading this, an update:

The mother of TJ Crumpton (Amanda) was married to a John Cohran previous to TJ's birth.  John Cohran had an older sister, named Mary Drucilla Cohran.

Turns out Mary Drucilla Cohran was married to George W Womack II.

George W Womack II has a little history.  Three months after his first wife (Mary Drucilla Cohran) died, old George W II married *his son's wife's sister*.  I don't even know how to describe that relationship - his daughter-in-law-in-law?  Ha!

From my YDNA testing, I know my great great grandfather was likely of the Womack line.  My great great grandmother was George W Womack II's sister-in-law.  George W Womack II wasn't afraid to cross relationship lines for....relationships.  This is certainly not proof in and of itself, but I hope to soon be able to show closer DNA resemblance to other descendants of this line of Womacks, who I have begged and cajoled into undergoing more extensive ydna tests!

Without having taken the yDNA tests, I'd never have attached any significance to the Womack surname.  Because the Ydna pointed me to the Womacks, I was able to find a paper connection, and here we sit.  Close, but not there yet!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 19 queries.