World Families Forums - Cork Collins data project for Skibbereen Heritage Centre

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 11, 2014, 04:34:22 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'C'
| | |-+  Collins (Moderator: collinsAdmin)
| | | |-+  Cork Collins data project for Skibbereen Heritage Centre
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cork Collins data project for Skibbereen Heritage Centre  (Read 468 times)
Susan J. Barretta

« on: December 22, 2012, 07:25:47 PM »

Hello everybody,

Next year Ireland is holding "The Gathering", a series of coordinated events and festivals to attract tourism.  As part of that effort, I may be assisting Skibbereen Heritage with some artwork for a display on DNA testing for genealogy.  My mother was from Skibbereen, and both her father and her mother were named Collins, so Collins is naturally my first choice name.

Like a number of names in Cork, Collins may have multiple origins.  It is assumed that the bulk of them in West Cork were descended from Collinses who were booted out of Limerick around the 1200's and tagged along with the Donovans into Cork, also booted out.  However, there are historical references to Collinses in Cork before this migration.

As part of the art display on Y-DNA my intention was to present a Cork map and pin on the map the ancestral origin of kits with Cork heritage, along with the name and approximate year of birth of the oldest known Collins ancestor.  Instead of displaying a mileage table of the distances between towns, the display would show a genetic distance table between all the labeled points on the map.

If you think you are "eligible" because your Collins ancestry is from Cork but you don't know WHERE exactly in Cork, no problem.  I'll make it work on the map.

My uncle and a distant cousin are taking the test to represent my granddad's and grandmother's Collins lines.  A distant cousin is also having her Cork Collins line tested.  That makes 3 data points for the display.  

I would really like to see other Collinses with Cork heritage with at least 67 markers tested included in this project.

In the event I cannot find enough Y-67 Collins data points to populate the map, I will use data from another Cork surname project.  I think about 6 data points would be good to at least stir the interest of tourists.  

If you would like your data in this project but haven't upgraded your markers, there is still time before the end of the year to purchase an upgrade at the sale price.  These kits particularly look interesting:

192305 37 markers tested
68641  37 markers tested
125110 37 markers tested
N25527 12 markers tested

Unfortunately I cannot give a time estimate as to when I need the data BY.  I just know I need it SOON since 2013 is around the corner.  When I know there is sufficient data for an interesting display, then I can talk further with the heritage center.  

Thanks everyone.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 07:55:13 PM by Susan J. Barretta » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 19 queries.