World Families Forums - FTDNA ends the U of Ariz partnership; all Testing now at FTDNA lab in Houston

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 01, 2014, 03:35:42 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  FTDNA ends the U of Ariz partnership; all Testing now at FTDNA lab in Houston
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: FTDNA ends the U of Ariz partnership; all Testing now at FTDNA lab in Houston  (Read 1102 times)
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« on: October 16, 2012, 11:19:08 AM »

I just learned that FTDNA has ended their testing relationship with the University of Arizona and is (or will soon be) conducting all testing at their GRC lab in Houston.  Here is the statement that was included in an answer about a specific issue:

"... Family Tree DNA has had a longstanding partnership with the University of Arizona, which has been a testing partner with FTDNA for nearly 12 years. However, this partnership has recently come to a close, as we have decided to move all of our testing into our in-house lab. ... Family Tree DNA's in-house lab, called the GRC ..."

Does anyone have additional insight on this change?  Has anyone seen a formal announcement?

Terry
Paul Burns
Project Coordinator

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 08:58:37 AM »

No, news to me. I see that Dr. Hammer will be a speaker at the Nov admin conference. Topic: "Interesting Developments in the Y-Chromosome"
Paul B

Paul Burns
gtc
Old Hand

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 04:15:52 AM »

Some time back (can't recall exactly when but within the last year or so IIRC) FTDNA upgraded its own lab facility.

Maybe they did this ahead of a contract with U of A coming to its expiry?

Also, there's this:

"In September 2012 Gene by Gene was restructured, encompassing the following four divisions" :

http://www.genebygene.com/

Y-DNA: R1b-Z12* (R1b1a2a1a1a3b2b1a1a1) GGG-GF Ireland (roots reportedly Anglo-Norman)
mtDNA: I3b (FMS) Maternal lines Irish
Joseph David Lyttle

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 09:16:28 AM »

Terry,

I would have thought they would have informed you, straight out. I found this by accident, when our new Little project member came in as 66/67 to me, yet he did not have that null439, like the rest of my lineage.

I have emailed the admins for the null 439 project, with no response to date. I am also waiting on a reply from a Mr Greenspan at FTDNA.

My concern, in addition to what it does to the Little nulls (if a systematic change makes us all 12's without testing) but a larger concern should be what happens to the null439 group? They evaporate.

D. Lyttle
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 11:04:40 AM »

Suggest you read the Null 439 Topic at:

http://www.worldfamilies.net/forum/index.php?topic=10933.0

I don't know what the Null 439 project will do, as I am not involved.  Would it make sense for them to rename it "R-L1 (previously Null 439)" or something similar?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 17 queries.