World Families Forums - Success story!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 03:12:49 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'M'
| | |-+  McGARITY (Moderator: McgarityAdmin)
| | | |-+  Success story!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Success story!  (Read 1511 times)
Marilyn Teaff Barton
Administrator
Guru

« on: October 06, 2012, 05:04:23 PM »

From an email from Kevin McGeary (kevin.mcgeary AT gmail.com)

Seventeen Generations of an early McGeary paternal line in USA has been confirmed by Y-46 DNA testing of my (Kevin M. McGeary) and my Seventh Cousin 1X removed Michael G.H. McGeary at Ancestry.com. This brings empirical scientific affirmation to the extensive genealogical research that Michael’s father, Dr. George D. McGeary compiled 30 years ago (Ref:"The Genealogy of the McGeary-McGary-McGarey-McGara Family of Pennsylvania, and Related Families" by.George D. McGeary M.D.). The actual mutations found for this new (Sept 2012) Y-DNA comparison also accurately approximated the “MRCA" number (Most Recent Common Ancestor). Mike and Kevin's “MCRA" appears to be the father of brothers Clemens McGeary~1746(Kevin's line) and William McGeary~1750(Mike's line) . We think their father's name was John? McGeary. He was evidently born circa 1716-1720 in Ireland and emigrated to USA, circa 1735, then lived in Cumberland County, PA etc. The research also indicates this Patriarch also had four sons all living in Pennsylvania before, and some serving in (and being wounded in), the Revolutionary War.
Here is the Paternal lineage list that appears to be confirmed by the Y-46 DNA testing done in 2012:

8) Living male

7) George Daniel McGeary M.D. (1920 - 2012) Father of Michael G. H.

6) George Elmer McGeary M.D. (1893 - 1967) Father of George Daniel

5) George Mechling McGeary (1860 - 1934) Father of George Elmer

4) William L. McGeary (1825 - 1904) Father of George Mechling

3) William McGeary Jr. (1797 - 1882) Father of William L.

2) William Jr McGeary (1768 - 1832) Father of William

1) William McGeary (1750 - 1831) Father of William Jr

0) John(?) McGeary* (1716 - ?) Father of William *MRCA and 1st immigrant

1) Clemens McGeary (1746 - 1779) Son of John(?)

2) William Sr. MCGEARY (1763 - 1851) Son of Clemens

3) David McGeary (1791 - 1850) Son of William Sr.

4) David Cratty McGeary (1823 -? ) Son of David

5) Robert A McGeary (1845 - 1908) Son of David Cratty

6) Everett Bertie McGeary (1867 - 1936) Son of Robert A

7) Charles Everett McGeary (1901 - 1984) Son of Everett Bertie

8) Frank Lewis McGeary (1927 - 2010) Son of Charles Everett

9) Kevin Michael McGeary (1952 - Living) Son of Frank Lewis

Various McGeary Genealogy researchers didn’t expect this DNA confirmation and thought there would be at least one foster-parenting generation or adoption over the above seventeen generation span given the periods of economic hardship and war in US History. We prepared ourself for a negative result. That made the DNA confirmation for our name being rooted in Pennsylvania decades before the birth of our nation even more gratifying.
My extended family tree covering the above test is named "McGeary - Wood” at Ancestry. The tree gedcom is also posted at FtDNA.  If any McGeary descendant wants to compare their Y-46 or other DNA test to this lineage feel free to contact me. I have also have been tested using the new SNP version of the DNA here at Ancestry as well as the FtDNA and 23andme sites. 23andme informed me of the raw data, and they indicate my Paternal Haplogroup is: R1b1b2a1a2f*
Deep genealogy study with DNA testing is closer to the truth, but DNA testing will not always clear up relationships of deep ancestors. In my example, the brothers of our MCRA could be paternal cousins instead of brothers because we are always searching for more definitive citations for their relationship.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 18 queries.