World Families Forums - Has FT-DNA bitten off more than they can chew with the Nat. Geno 2.0 test?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 11:46:03 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Y-Haplogroups
| | |-+  Has FT-DNA bitten off more than they can chew with the Nat. Geno 2.0 test?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has FT-DNA bitten off more than they can chew with the Nat. Geno 2.0 test?  (Read 2080 times)
wing_genealogist

« on: September 23, 2012, 09:55:57 AM »

I had posted the following on the FT-DNA forums, but thought there may be some here who may also be interested.

FT-DNA has gone on record stating they will allow folks who have taken the Nat Geno 2.0 test to transfer their positive/derived SNPs to their FT-DNA account. While I would love for this to happen, I wonder if they fully realize the potential results of this.

I have been SNP tested at M157.2 a family/private subclade of Z6. Under ISOGG's R-Tree of 28AUG2012 Z6 is R1b1a2a1a1a3b2b1a1b1.

Counting the SNPs currently in the ISOGG tree (as well as the SNPs from the 1000 Project below U106) there are:

116 Known SNPs from the root of the tree to Haplo R
38 Known SNPs from R to U106
33 Known SNPs from U106-Z6 (+1 more to my M157.2)

=188 Potential positive KNOWN SNPs. In addition, according to what I have read about the Nat Geno 2.0 specifications, it is possible there may be even more than that number of new SNPs I may also end up being positive for.

Looking at the SNP result lists on some projects (such as the U106 project) I note where some folks have tested almost 50 SNPs, and even then, their SNP results take up quite a bit of space. A sudden influx of much larger results may wreak havoc on the IS structure (which is known to have had many difficulties in the past).

Y-DNA - R1b M157.2 (a private/family subclade of Z6/Z352) 111 markers tested

mt-DNA - J1c2g with the following private mutations: 315.1C 522.1A 522.2C C9974T C16256T (FMS tested and submitted to GenBank)

Autosomal - shows as a typical English ancestry. Tested with 23andMe, FTDNA
hamish

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 07:52:49 AM »

Within the last week or so FTDNA have posted notice that they'll be moving to the shorthand form of terminal haplogroup, e.g. R-DF63 rather than R1b1a2a1a1b3b. It may be that this change has arisen from preparations relating to the Geno 2.0 influx.

If I were designing it, I would probably show positive results by default, and negative results by request. In other words, in the primary view you'd see where you lie on the (hopefully synced with ISOGG) tree, and you could click to see another page with your exhaustive results, including the negative ones.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 17 queries.