World Families Forums - Vikings - BBC2

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 07:26:55 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Vikings - BBC2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vikings - BBC2  (Read 1002 times)
avalon
Old Hand

« on: September 11, 2012, 04:51:07 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ms4xm

This new programme may be of interest to British viewers. I imagine it will be available to non-Brits on the internet sooner or later.
SEJJ

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 05:38:41 PM »

This new programme may be of interest to British viewers. I imagine it will be available to non-Brits on the internet sooner or later.

So they are starting from the bronze age! That is good news - It is better than the same 'blood, rape, pillage' stuff that is constantly shown. More emotional than anything else. Once you've seen one you've seen them all, but this looks different - and of course Neil Oliver is a pretty good presenter. Cheers for the heads-up.

Y-DNA: I1*
MT-DNA: U5a1b4

avalon
Old Hand

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 07:31:30 AM »

So they are starting from the bronze age! That is good news - It is better than the same 'blood, rape, pillage' stuff that is constantly shown. More emotional than anything else. Once you've seen one you've seen them all, but this looks different - and of course Neil Oliver is a pretty good presenter. Cheers for the heads-up.

Enjoyed the third episode in this series. Totally staggering that the Norse Vikings may have reached as far as the eastern seaboard of North America, 4,000 miles from Norway.

Also nice to see that the Anglo-Saxons were just as  bloodthirsty as the Vikings when they massacred the Danes in Oxford in the 10C.
SEJJ

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 04:43:21 PM »

Enjoyed the third episode in this series. Totally staggering that the Norse Vikings may have reached as far as the eastern seaboard of North America, 4,000 miles from Norway.

Also nice to see that the Anglo-Saxons were just as  bloodthirsty as the Vikings when they massacred the Danes in Oxford in the 10C.

Yeah it is pretty staggering. I remember hearing about that some years back but it's good to see a fresh incarnation of it in this program. I guess it is interesting that there never was continual settlement in America though by the Norse Vikings - History of North America might have been quite different if they got a strong foot-hold there.

Yeah. The Vikings (I prefer to call them Danes in England anyway, or at least the Danish Vikings :P) had a bad reputation but i don't think they had the potential for worse than any of their neighbors at the time - and you are right the St Brice's Day massacre proves it. It all depends on the politics and who is writing really. Probably both sides in any brutal conflict would consider the opposite to be evil barbarians, but if one has much better records then the other than that is what their ancestors hear about it...

It was a good series, as always Neil Oliver did a good job presenting it - It went away from the typical view focused towards the British Isles and dug a bit deeper into their exploits elsewhere and in their homeland, which you hear about less often on mainstream television.

Y-DNA: I1*
MT-DNA: U5a1b4

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 18 queries.