World Families Forums - Y-DNA Study of Catalan Surnames Due Next Year

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 01:12:23 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  Y-DNA Study of Catalan Surnames Due Next Year
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Y-DNA Study of Catalan Surnames Due Next Year  (Read 974 times)
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« on: August 10, 2012, 01:11:21 AM »

http://cognoms.upf.edu/el-projecte/

I have been advised by Pere Roma that the Institute of Biology of the University Pompeu Fabra of Barcelona will publish a y-dna study of 2500 men of 50 different Catalan surnames sometime next year.

Should be interesting!

(Hope they include an English translation!)

razyn
Old Hand

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 01:17:53 AM »

Hope they tested more markers than most of those European academic studies have been doing.  2500 more twelve-marker results may not be all that interesting.

R1b Z196*
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 01:21:32 AM »

Hope they tested more markers than most of those European academic studies have been doing.  2500 more twelve-marker results may not be all that interesting.

According to Pere, it includes SNP testing, but I can't read Spanish, so I don't know how far they're going with it, either in terms of SNPs or STRs.

IALEM
Old Hand

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 02:32:17 AM »

There is no list of SNPs, only mention that they will be tested.
Surnames have been selected mainly for possible ethnics, so some are of germanic origin, latin, jew, arab...
BTW the site is in Catalan, not Spanish

Y-DNA L21+

MDKA Lope de Arriçabalaga, born c. 1390 in Azcoitia, Basque Country

df.reynolds
Old Hand

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 03:41:40 AM »

The latest version of Chrome, with built-in translation functionality, does a good enough job on these pages to understand what is going on. Even picks up on the fact that the pages are in Catalan, not Spanish. Was interested to see that they are testing  both SNPs & STRs.

From the (translated) web site:
Progress
On 4/7/2012, 1843 volunteers have sent their samples: thank you! You will find a table at the bottom of this page the distribution of samples by surname. You'll see some names already exceeded the target of 50 volunteers by name, but in others we are still far away. Still need volunteers! Remember that new volunteers can not be through male relatives (up to first cousins) of current volunteers.

The following steps will be:
* Extraction of DNA (completed in about 700 samples)
* Analysis of SNPs (markers of slow evolution)
* Analysis of STRs (markers of rapid evolution)
* Numerical analysis of laboratory results
* Design of website for submission of results to participants.
For this reason, we can give you the results over 2013

--david
Richard Rocca
Old Hand

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 08:34:48 AM »

"Roma" is listed as one of the surnames they will study. It would be interesting if one of the L21 project admins could reach out to the DF63+ Catalan "Roma" (kit 232541) to see if he has interest as they still seem to be accepting participants.

Paternal: R1b-U152+L2*
Maternal: H
k.o.gran
Old Hand

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 09:10:08 AM »

"Roma" is listed as one of the surnames they will study. It would be interesting if one of the L21 project admins could reach out to the DF63+ Catalan "Roma" (kit 232541) to see if he has interest as they still seem to be accepting participants.

Richard,

If you look at the first post in this thread, you will se that he was the one that told Rich about it. :)

-Kai

R-DF63+
Richard Rocca
Old Hand

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 09:34:36 AM »

Richard,

If you look at the first post in this thread, you will se that he was the one that told Rich about it. :)

-Kai

Must be Friday!

Paternal: R1b-U152+L2*
Maternal: H
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 09:52:55 AM »

There is no list of SNPs, only mention that they will be tested.
Surnames have been selected mainly for possible ethnics, so some are of germanic origin, latin, jew, arab...
BTW the site is in Catalan, not Spanish

You know, I thought that looked like it might be Catalan, but I wasn't sure, since the study is being sponsored by a university in Barcelona.

But Catalan or Spanish, it's Greek to me! ;-)

Dubhthach
Old Hand

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 10:36:28 AM »

You know, I thought that looked like it might be Catalan, but I wasn't sure, since the study is being sponsored by a university in Barcelona.

Well Barcelona is the capital of Catalonia after all ;) There is a major push behind the language at all levels of society, the Catalan autonomous government have done a great job particulary when you consider that Franco banned the language (along with Basque) during his dictatorship.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:37:41 AM by Dubhthach » Logged
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 10:50:06 AM »

Well Barcelona is the capital of Catalonia after all ;) There is a major push behind the language at all levels of society, the Catalan autonomous government have done a great job particulary when you consider that Franco banned the language (along with Basque) during his dictatorship.

I know; I just thought with Barcelona being a major Spanish city, the university's publications would be in Spanish.

But, hey, what do I know about that?

Arch Y.
Old Hand

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 03:05:00 AM »

I know; I just thought with Barcelona being a major Spanish city, the university's publications would be in Spanish.

But, hey, what do I know about that?

Spanish is seen as the language that will get you a job in Spain and is seen as more "elite", whereas Catalan is more like a local thing and from what I gather would put a person more in a favorable light if he or she learns the local tongue (just don't speak Catalan in Madrid).

However, Barcelona being such a big and internationally renowned city, I think English is probably well understood there in comparison to Paris; heck, maybe even London. Oh, St. George is the patron saint of the city (hmmmm...)

Arch
Dubhthach
Old Hand

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 06:08:48 AM »

I would say though in a Catalonia context that been able to speak catalan is more of an "elite" symbol these days then Spanish. I've heard of people been abused for speaking Spanish in Barcelona etc. Interesting when I was over there a couple years ago with the missus (filipina) we encountered filipino immigrants talking Catalan to their children (and not spanish)

Anything connected to the Catalan autonomous government has to be in Catalan, as a result all education is done in Catalan with only 2 hours a week or so of Spanish language instruction. Obviously the University of Barcelona is a public university so the same rules apply there. Here's what they say on their website, they teach in both Catalan and Spanish but emphasis no doubt is on Catalan.

Catalan is the institutional language of the University of Barcelona, and is therefore used in all the University’s institutional and administrative affairs. Teaching is conducted in both Catalan and Spanish, which are Catalonia’s official languages. But while it seeks to guarantee its students the standardised use of Catalan, the University’s increasingly international involvement and its participation in interuniversity mobility programs have led it to adopt language policies that also foster the study and use of other languages, to consolidate the UB’s presence as a multilingual institution.
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 11:20:50 AM »

Another interesting thing I heard from Pere Roma is that, while his surname is Catalonian, our other Catalonian L21, Pais, has a surname that is actually most common in Galicia. Maybe that explains why Pais is DF13+ and Roma is DF63+?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 18 queries.