World Families Forums - Red Hair and Family Finder

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 07:15:19 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Autosomal Block DNA Testing - "Family Finder" and "Relative Finder"
| | |-+  Red Hair and Family Finder
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Red Hair and Family Finder  (Read 7265 times)
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 09:16:10 PM »

Undoubtedly your red hair was conveyed to you via an allele other than the three you listed above. Unfortunately, FF doesn't give you results for all the possibilities.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2013, 08:07:07 AM »

Check this out:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/?iid=article_sidebar#/video/world/2013/04/26/sweeney-redhead-gene.cnn

seferhabahir
Old Hand

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2013, 10:51:30 AM »

Sure looks like some kind of R1b-L21 map to me. I wonder if any of my R2 cousins have red hair? Interesting about three variants and that two are old and one (histidine red) is not. Do they know if there is a relationship between histidine red and L21?

Y-DNA: R-L21 (Z251+ L583+)

mtDNA: J1c7a

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2013, 08:32:48 PM »

Sure looks like some kind of R1b-L21 map to me. I wonder if any of my R2 cousins have red hair? Interesting about three variants and that two are old and one (histidine red) is not. Do they know if there is a relationship between histidine red and L21?

I don't know. I have the tryptophan red variant, and I read in SNPedia that is the most common one in Ireland.

I'm not sure where they came up with that "70,000 years old" stuff. I take all that with a large grain of salt.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2013, 08:16:35 PM »

Here's BritainsDNA's latest British Isles map of the percentages of those carrying at least one of the gene variants for red hair.

http://blog.britainsdna.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2013/08/Carriers.jpg
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:18:10 PM by rms2 » Logged

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2013, 09:08:24 AM »

This past Monday (today is Friday), I got my BritainsDNA Chromo2 Complete test results, all of them, that is, except the "All My Ancestry" autosomal results. Those are still pending. Anyway, my red hair test result came in, too. I am positive for Arg160Trp, which is considered one of the most potent of the red hair variants, so I am confirmed as a carrier of the red hair gene.

Of course, if you check the first few posts in this thread, you will see that I knew that already from investigating my Family Finder raw data. Just the same, it is nice to have it confirmed by a second and independent dna testing company.

hdw

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2014, 02:33:38 PM »

Here is something interesting on red hair in the British Isles.

Robin McKie cites actual genetic research by the People of the British Isles Project showing the frequency of the two variants of the MCR1 gene that are responsible for red hair.

Quote from: Robin McKie

Enter the scientists of the People of the British Isles project: thanks to their efforts, this most distinctive characteristic is now opening up its mysteries for the first time. Testing their white cell samples for two of the half-dozen red-hair versions of the MC1R gene, they were able to show their frequency in each area of the British Isles. The results were intriguing.

Where one is the maximum value, they got figures of 0.16 and 0.23 for the frequencies of red-hair genes in Cornwall and Devon. The frequency in Oxfordshire was 0.07; in Sussex and Kent 0.13; in northeast England 0.11; in Lincolnshire 0.07; and in Cumbria nil. In Wales the figure was 0.21, and in Orkney a high 0.26. But the highest was in Ireland. Using data from other research studies, the team got a figure for Ireland of 0.31, confirmation of the stereotypical image of the red-haired Irishman.

The results are remarkable, as Sir Walter Bodmer, the Oxford geneticist leading the project, acknowledges: “I was amazed at them. I didn’t expect to see something like this.”

The research gives us, for the first time, an insight into the startling numbers of native people who have been described as having red hair in ancient times.

To sum up, these are the frequencies of the two red-hair variants of the MCR1 gene studied by Bodmer and the People of the British Isles Project.

Cornwall: 16%
Devon: 23%
Wales: 21%
Orkney: 26%
Oxfordshire: 7%
Sussex and Kent: 13%
North East England: 11%
Lincolnshire: 7%
Cumbria: 0%
Ireland: 31%

So does Bodmer not consider Scotland as part of the British Isles? I should have thought Scotland would be included in any survey of red-hairedness. Even if the independence referendum in September leads to Scotland severing the link with England, the facts of geography dictate that we will still be part of the British Isles.

I had red hair when I was younger and so did some of my cousins on my mother's side. And good old-fashioned paper-trail genealogy helped me find a possible "culprit" way back in my family-tree. In July 1808 several Scottish newspapers carried a Wanted notice for my errant 3 x great-grandfather Thomas Welsh, and among other things it said that he had "reddish-brown" hair.

Harry
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 18 queries.