World Families Forums - An Ancient Dual-Lineage of Sheets Surname?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 12, 2014, 11:48:19 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'S'
| | |-+  Sheets (Moderator: Paul Sheats)
| | | |-+  An Ancient Dual-Lineage of Sheets Surname?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: An Ancient Dual-Lineage of Sheets Surname?  (Read 1309 times)
Dracunberg

« on: July 19, 2012, 05:14:52 AM »

Hello Everyone,

I have been researching our ancestral origin for some time now, and in light of this DNA project, I think my suspicions may be right...

There seem to be two different 'Shoot/er' ancestral lines, represented by haplogroups R1b1a2 and I1, shown in this DNA project. Though there is other evidence as well which supports this claim.

The other haplogroups, i suspect, are caused by 'primitive' DNA strands corrupting the original 'Shoot/er' DNA somewhere along the lines of descent. These primitive DNA haplogroups include the E1b1b1, T, G2a and J2 haplogroups found in this project.

http://centralasiandragons.weebly.com/uploads/6/9/9/1/6991389/4315889.jpg?876

E1b1b1
- E1b1b1 represents a more recent movement of people out of Africa than haplogroup CT, which otherwise dominates human populations outside Africa. Underhill (2002), for example, believes that the structure and regional pattern of E-M35 sub-clades potentially give "reagents with which to infer specific episodes of population histories associated with the Neolithic agricultural expansion". Concerning European E-M35 within this scheme, Underhill & Kivisild (2007) have remarked that E1b1b seems to represent a late-Pleistocene migration from North Africa to Europe over the Sinai Peninsula in Egypt.

T - Haplogroup T (M70, M184, M193, M272) is found in an insignificant majority of Kurru, Bauris & Lodha in South Asia; and in a significant minority of Rajus and Mahli in South Asia; Somalis, southern Egyptians and Fulbe in north Cameroon; Chian Greeks, Saccensi/Sicilians, Eivissencs / Ibizans and Northeastern Portuguese Jews in Europe; and Zoroastrians, Bakhtiaris in the Middle East. Haplogroup T is not associated with the R1, G and J lineages that entered Africa from Eurasia relatively recently.

G2a - Haplogroup G men who belong to this group, but are negative for all G2a subgroups, are uncommon in Europe but may represent a sizeable group in so far poorly tested areas east of Turkey. P15 was identified at the University of Arizona and became widely known by 2002. Its chromosome location listed as 21653414. G2a was found in medieval remains in a 7th- century CE high-status tomb in Ergolding, Bavaria, Germany.

J2 - The main spread of J2 into the Mediterranean area is thought to have coincided with the expansion of agricultural people's during the Neolithic period." The age of J2 has been estimated as 18,500 +/- 3,500 years ago. Its distribution, centered in Western Asia and Southeastern Europe, its association with the presence of Neolithic archaeological artifacts, such as figurines and painted pottery, and its association with annual precipitation have been interpreted as evidence that J2, and in particular its J2a-M410 subclade belonged to the agricultural innovators who followed the rainfall.[22] However, Di Giacomo stressed the role of post-Neolithic migratory phenomenon, specifically that of the Ancient Greeks, as also being important in the dispersal of hg J2.

Now we have the two individual and distinctly seperate main 'Shoot/er' ancestral lines:

Haplogroup I1 is a Y chromosome haplogroup associated with Nordic descent and occurs at greatest frequency in Scandinavia. The group displays a very clear frequency gradient, with a peak of approximately 40 percent among the populations of western Finland and more than 50 percent in the province of Satakunta, around 35 percent in southern Norway, southwestern Sweden especially on the island of Gotland, Denmark, and northern Germany, with rapidly decreasing frequencies toward the edges of the historically Germanic (especially Viking) sphere of influence.

This nordic I1 line i will call the 'Shoot' line. This line seems to stem primarily from southern Sweden, near Stockholm. I believe they took their surname from the Skeids, or Viking warships and longboats. These are the boats the Vikings used to raid Scotland, which brought the surname there as well. Here the norse Shoot line gave their name to Skeoch, now Skeoch woods near Ayrshire. But more about this later.

Right now let's look at the etymology of the different variations in norse 'Shoot' surname variations. All of the variations imply a 'swift shooting'. The name Skeid was given to the viking warships because they were 'swift', 'fleet'. They 'shot' through the water.

Skytte(Shooter), Skjüta(To Shoot), Skjöte(Swift, Fleet), Sköt/Skötten(To Shoot, Swift). In Scotland it became Skeet/Skeets/Skeats(Swift, Fleet), and then later Skaytes/Skates. Eventually the 'k' became soft, and 'Skeet' became 'Sheet'. This also happened with the norse 'Skjüta' or 'Scuette' dropping the 'k' sound to become 'Syeta', 'Shyte', and 'Schütte'.

'Skytte' is listed as a noble swedish baronial family of Duderhof. 'Skytte' of Finland is also listed in medieval records of nobility. Chronicles first mention Johann Scuette of Lubeck, Germany in 1319. Lubeck is 'shooting' distance from Sweden, and it is my suggestion that Johannes Scuette was of the norse 'Shoot' lineage, migrating south to Germany.

The other ancestral line, which I call the 'Shooter' line, is represented by the R1b1a2 haplogroup in this project. R1b1a2 is found at highest frequency in the central Balkans notably Kosovo with 7.9%, Macedonia 5.1% and Serbia 4.4%  

The Shooter line came to Germany from Hungary during the reign of King Sigismund. The first recorded member of this line, that i know of, is Woelfel Schütze of Eger Hungary in 1320. During this time Hungary was mainly made up of two groups of people: the Jassic people, who were Sarmatian in origin thus ultimatly of Scythian caste; and the others, the Cumans, were a mongolian nomadic people, similar to the Huns, though their origin is still disputed.

The 'Shooter' lineage most likely stems from the Sarmatian tribes of Hungary, and it is also likely that it was a noble line. This is due to the fact that the Woelfel Schütze family owned land, and King Sigismund made it a law that only those of noble lineage could purchase lands in Hungary.

Making their way into Germany, the Shooter line seemed to pool into the central region of Germany, where they lived amongst the norse Shoot line. The Scythian Shooter line primarily uses the surname Schütz, or close variations (Schütze, Shütz, Schützen, Sheets, Sheetz), while the Scandinavian Shoot line typically doesn't put an 's' or a 'z' at the end (Schütte, Sköt, Skeet, Sheat, Shütt).

I will write more about this subject soon. I would appreciate everyones thoughts on this.

-Ian Sheets
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 11:23:06 AM by Dracunberg » Logged

"Vero Nihil Verius"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 18 queries.