World Families Forums - I1-Nordic Socio-History Culture & Arts: Skeid aka Shoot-ers R1b1a2

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2015, 09:04:07 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'S'
| | |-+  Sheets (Moderator: Paul Sheats)
| | | |-+  I1-Nordic Socio-History Culture & Arts: Skeid aka Shoot-ers R1b1a2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I1-Nordic Socio-History Culture & Arts: Skeid aka Shoot-ers R1b1a2  (Read 121 times)

« on: July 19, 2015, 03:32:01 PM »

This new topic is to share with readers certain aspects of the Nordic history culture and arts.
Based on  the topic titled "An Ancient Dual-Lineage of Sheets Surname?"
from what Dracunberg shared regarding the Skeid, Shoot-ers ethno-technical-associative surname development.

I like to share I have an academic & leisure background in Social Sciences, History, along with involvement with recreating history based upon historical artifacts or documents. So, with this in mind; here is some info regarding the quasi namesake Sheets-Shoot-Skied artifact later in the message to a group of people who recreated a modern day Skeid.

About the 5 ships in Denmark on display at the museum
Vikings: Secrets of the Vikings: The Viking Longship Video  time 6:48 min

website for Viking long ship classes

"The Viking longship from Skuldelev aka.
Skuldelev wreck 2 Denmark
The longship was the warship of the viking age.
Site of find Skuldelev strait, the Roskilde fjord, Denmark.

Materials: oak on oak
Length: 30 m
Width: 3,8 m
Draught: 0,9 m
Deplacement: 25 tons
Sail area: ca 120 m2
Pairs of oars: 30
Crew: 70 - 80 men, of those 60 rowers
Cruising speed: 6 - 8 knots
Max. speed: about 15 knots
The ship is built around 1042 AD
Building site: Glendalough, close to Dublin, Ireland.

A full scale replica was built at the Viking Ship Museum in Roskilde. It was sea launched in 2004, and named "Havhingsten fra Glendalough" or the "Sea Stallion" after its place of origin in Ireland. In 2007 the Sea Stallion sailed to Ireland, and returned to Denmark in the next summer."

The following link is to a Modern skeid history recreation construction at facebook. based upon the above artifact find of the ship's within the Denmark Ship museum. the group obtained funds, recreated the designs, built, tested, and then sailed the "Sea Stallion" Skeid for 6 long weeks in foul wet weather from Denmark to Ireland, a total of 1200 nautical miles.  There are quite a few wonderful videos & photos of their adventures within the Skeid to various ports & sites.

I can not import these videos or photos at this time. Yet, I encourage all to see what a true Skeid looks like and handles at sea. Enjoy

Another video of the Sea Stallion Skeid under sail at sea

Viking DNA expert leads longboat raid to Norway, University of Norway time 5:47 min
A 54-strong 'Viking Navy' led by a University of Nottingham scientist and Viking expert has just returned from an unusual expedition to Norway, to row the largest replica Viking longship ever built.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 05:11:32 PM by Jtel09 » Logged

MtDna Haplogroup H1c15
Mitrosearch: AZR6F
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 19 queries.