World Families Forums - Multiple Country matches on same area of Chromosome 10.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 03:13:45 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Autosomal Block DNA Testing - "Family Finder" and "Relative Finder"
| | |-+  Multiple Country matches on same area of Chromosome 10.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Multiple Country matches on same area of Chromosome 10.  (Read 1429 times)
eochaidh
Old Hand

« on: April 20, 2012, 03:49:42 PM »

Sorry if this has been asked several times....

I have at least eight 4 grandparent matches on Chromosome 10 in the area of 34.5-49.7. The lengths vary as do the cM amounts, but they all take up a good chunck of the area.

I'm, 75% Irish, Scots-Irish and 25% French-Canadian. The largest match is 10cM from the UK, which makes sense, and I have about 4 US matches with people who have mostly Isles ancestry, but I also have a match from Italy 8.3cM and Russia! What is happening with all of these overlapping matches?

None of the matches are from Canada or France, so I think that may rule out my mother's French-Canadian side, unless an Italian got into Quebec. I've never come across an Italian sounding name.

My other last chance guess is that my paternal grandfather's mother was a Taaffe, and the Taaffe family has been very promonent on the Continent as Viscounts in Austria, Hungary and elsewhere. I have seen Taaffe births in Italy on FamilySearch.

This is on Relative Finder/Ancestry Finder 23andMe.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,  Miles Kehoe (Russian Italian)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 04:10:23 PM by eochaidh » Logged

Y-DNA: R1b DF23
mtDNA: T2g
banshee

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 11:48:27 AM »

I am intrigued about my own situation on chromosome 10 --  I have only taken the FTDNA FF test - I have a very large # of matches on chr 10 near or across the centromere.  The longest one is 21 cm.  I have about 150 total matches on FF and I've lost count with that region of chrom 10 -- I think it's up to about 30 people now.  The big thing for me is so many of them have Irish ancestry, and I am half Irish and have yet to find an exact connection with even the 21cm person but most of the closer matches do have western Ireland (Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Roscommon etc) and I do have western Eire ancestry. One of my matches said that the matches across the 10 centromere persist for a very long time so that could be why there are so many people matching there.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 18 queries.