World Families Forums - Scandinavian genetic legacy in russia?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 08:05:48 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  Scandinavian genetic legacy in russia?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scandinavian genetic legacy in russia?  (Read 360 times)
authun
Old Hand

« on: June 24, 2012, 03:15:41 PM »

Does anyone know of any studies which have indicated or even just tentatively siggested, a genetic legacy in russia from Scandinavian settlement?
Jean M
Guru

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 03:40:06 PM »

Sorry - I just took down most of my Peopling of Europe pages, in line with contractual obligations, otherwise I could just point you there.

Oleg Balanovsky et al., Two sources of the Russian patrilineal heritage in their Eurasian context, The American Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 82 (January 2008), pp. 236–250 found that Russians clustered most closely with Ukranians and Belorussians, forming a genetic block corresponding to the linguistic one of East Slavic, with the West Slavic Poles the next closest. The relationship to Swedes was more distant.

He detected a significant level of I1 in places, but see Terry Robb's research, which indicates that the most common I1 haplotype in Russia (which he labels AAA) seems to radiate from Germany. There have been German settlers in Russia since the 16th century, and particularly in the reign of Catherine II. A less common I1 haplotype (BBA) in Russia does appear to be most common in Sweden, and might therefore have arrived with the Rus.

Living descendants of the Rurikid dynasty of Russia have been found consistently to carry Y-DNA N1c1. Among Europeans this haplogroup is most common among peoples speaking Uralic languages, such as Finnish, suggesting that Rurik was indeed not Slavic and probably from a Scandinavian settlement in Finland, where Swedes and Finns had long mixed.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 03:42:30 PM by Jean M » Logged
princenuadha
Old Hand

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 12:03:14 AM »

Sorry - I just took down most of my Peopling of Europe pages, in line with contractual obligations, otherwise I could just point you there.

It's kinda frustrating the way science, or publication, is working right now.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 17 queries.