World Families Forums - The Private or Family SNP

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 10:52:04 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  The Private or Family SNP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Private or Family SNP  (Read 437 times)
stoneman
Old Hand

« on: October 20, 2012, 05:17:04 AM »

Each one of us has one or more private SNPs in our family tree. SNPs are the important  branches of our family trees. Private SNPs have  timeframes between 400 and 600 years. They define our ancestral origins in the past. That for me is the most important goal at present. Will the Geno 2.0 give me the answers that I am searching for? I dont know, but if it doesnt then there has to be another way. Each of us can use our 67 y-test as a modal haplotype for our own families going back as far as 600 years. We dont need to test our relatives. The people that have tested have shown us how close they are.
gtc
Old Hand

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 09:47:46 AM »

Each one of us has one or more private SNPs in our family tree. SNPs are the important  branches of our family trees. Private SNPs have  timeframes between 400 and 600 years. They define our ancestral origins in the past. That for me is the most important goal at present. Will the Geno 2.0 give me the answers that I am searching for? I dont know, but if it doesnt then there has to be another way.

What is your current hg and subclade?

Whether or not Geno 2 shines new light for you depends largely on your current testing status. The Geno 2 chip is programmed with "known" SNPs (i.e. known to science, if not to you or me).

Geno 2 does not go looking for hitherto unknown SNPs, as does say the Walk Through the Y project, or the trawling of the 1000 Genomes Project data by interested and knowledgeable persons. SNPs currently declared to be private/family have been discovered by those means.

Each of us can use our 67 y-test as a modal haplotype for our own families going back as far as 600 years. We dont need to test our relatives. The people that have tested have shown us how close they are.

I don't follow your point here. How does a 67 marker haplotype equate to  a distance of 600 years?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:48:37 AM by gtc » Logged

Y-DNA: R1b-Z12* (R1b1a2a1a1a3b2b1a1a1) GGG-GF Ireland (roots reportedly Anglo-Norman)
mtDNA: I3b (FMS) Maternal lines Irish
stoneman
Old Hand

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 12:17:01 PM »

I meant that I can use my haplotype as modal for my family. There is a Clan Mcgregor that has a modal haplotype and one person is only one mutation of the modal. The estimated TMRCA is 650 years. I know that there are people in my parish that would have a close match to me at 67 markers and the same surname. Our line goes back at least 700 years in this parish.
Peter M

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »

We dont need to test our relatives. The people that have tested have shown us how close they are.

Most people are ordering a DNA test to verify that they are a member of a family that is defined by a surname and a known STR-pattern. If this is one's purpose, there IS a need to test all relatives (proving ALL individual carriers of the surname ARE relatives).

Then some are testing lots of markers hoping to be able to define the various branches of their family using these markers. I have yet to the the first family who really are successful in this. Most have no idea of how to do this.
stoneman
Old Hand

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 06:58:55 AM »

If you look at the M222 group there are a lot of them that have a gd of 7 from the modal.If the modal is the ancestral haplotype and the ancestor lived 2000 to 3000 years ago then you have an idea how far of the modal one should be at 600 years.I believe the modal is the key.

We dont need to test our relatives. The people that have tested have shown us how close they are.

Most people are ordering a DNA test to verify that they are a member of a family that is defined by a surname and a known STR-pattern. If this is one's purpose, there IS a need to test all relatives (proving ALL individual carriers of the surname ARE relatives).

Then some are testing lots of markers hoping to be able to define the various branches of their family using these markers. I have yet to the the first family who really are successful in this. Most have no idea of how to do this.
Peter M

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 08:28:05 AM »

If the modal is the ancestral haplotype

This is not necessarily always the case.

Quote from: stoneman link=topic=11449.msg142021#msg142021
I believe the modal is the key.

The key to what ??
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 18 queries.