World Families Forums - Washburn I1

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 08:51:06 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  I and Subclades
| | |-+  Washburn I1
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Washburn I1  (Read 3938 times)
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« on: April 15, 2012, 07:26:24 AM »

One of my great-great grandmothers was Olive Augusta Washburn, the daughter of Dr. Abner Standish Washburn. Anyway, apparently my third great grandfather Abner was I1, judging from the results in the Washburn DNA Project. All those I1 guys list ancestors in my pedigree.

I haven't confirmed a relationship to any of them, but they all seem to match pretty closely and list mdkas in Abner's pedigree. The Washburn Project doesn't list an email contact for its administrator, so I guess I'll have to contact FTDNA.

Or maybe I'll fill out a join request and explain that I don't want to join, I just want some info.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 07:29:58 AM by rms2 » Logged

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 09:06:38 AM »

One of my great-great grandmothers was Olive Augusta Washburn, the daughter of Dr. Abner Standish Washburn. Anyway, apparently my third great grandfather Abner was I1, judging from the results in the Washburn DNA Project. All those I1 guys list ancestors in my pedigree.

I haven't confirmed a relationship to any of them, but they all seem to match pretty closely and list mdkas in Abner's pedigree. The Washburn Project doesn't list an email contact for its administrator, so I guess I'll have to contact FTDNA.

Or maybe I'll fill out a join request and explain that I don't want to join, I just want some info.

I filled out a join request, but it didn't ask for any info. So, I then turned around and quit the project, which involved a request for the reason why. I used that to make a plea to the admin of the project to contact me.

Hopefully, it will work.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 07:58:49 AM »

I filled out a join request, but it didn't ask for any info. So, I then turned around and quit the project, which involved a request for the reason why. I used that to make a plea to the admin of the project to contact me.

Hopefully, it will work.

Well, that method has not worked so far, so I guess I will have to contact FTDNA to get in touch with the administrator of the Washburn Project.

I think project admins should be required to provide some means to contact them via the project's public web site. I field questions from people all the time about the projects I administer. That is part of being a project admin.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 08:59:17 PM »

Okay, I emailed FTDNA to try to put me in touch with the admin of the Washburn DNA Project (not that anyone but me cares).

Things could get interesting for me soon.

It's fascinating to explore y haplogroups in one's pedigree outside one's own.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 06:36:32 PM »

I emailed Ken Nordtvedt about my Washburn line's I1. He said they are in the cluster I1-ASgeneric-15 (15 for DYS19).

I have to confess that I am pretty weak in my knowledge of I1.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 07:03:37 PM »

Here is a distribution map for I1.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 07:04:40 PM by rms2 » Logged

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 12:32:09 PM »

I got a confirmation on my Washburn line from the admin of the Washburn DNA Project. It is that same I1 line with DYS19=15. That confirms that my third great grandfather Abner Standish Washburn was indeed I1.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 08:08:04 PM »

I got a confirmation on my Washburn line from the admin of the Washburn DNA Project. It is that same I1 line with DYS19=15. That confirms that my third great grandfather Abner Standish Washburn was indeed I1.

He confirmed it by means of the book, The Washburn Family in America, by Brenton P. Washburne, which contains the related pedigrees of the I1 members of the Washburn DNA Project and my third great grandfather Abner Standish Washburn. He and my great great grandmother Olive (his daughter) are listed in that book (but he didn't give me the page number).

Here is the email (I guess it doesn't hurt to share it).

Quote from: Mark Washburne
Hi Richard,

I was able to find your line in Brenton Washburne's book, The Washburn Family in America. Here is your line starting with John Washburn, who came to America in 1631:

John Washburn 1597-1670
John Washburn 1620-1686
James Washburn 1672-1749
James Washburn 1698-1741
Jonah Washburn 1733-1810
Abner Washburn 1757-1848
Abner Washburn 1802-1864
Olive Washburn 1839-1918

Brenton Washburne's book is out of print but can be viewed by inter-library loan. The I1 from the DNA project is related to this line. Good luck with your search.

Your cousin,
Mark Washburne

Mark also told me that none of them has ordered the Family Finder test yet.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:12:10 PM by rms2 » Logged

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 06:58:40 AM »

BTW, apparently Mark and I are 9th cousins, since our most recent common ancestor is John Washburn (1620-1686), who is an 8th great grandfather to both of us.

It amazes me how some families, like the Washburns, have maintained such excellent genealogical records, while so many others have not. The Washburns were New England Puritans, however, and those folks seem to have been pretty meticulous about things like recording births and deaths in family Bibles and passing them on.

A.D.
Old Hand

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 11:05:39 AM »

Just out of interest any connection to Washburn Guitar co. I own one.
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 07:28:03 AM »

Just out of interest any connection to Washburn Guitar co. I own one.

I don't know, but I have wondered about that myself.

A.D.
Old Hand

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 09:46:04 PM »

It would be cool. The founder was a George Washburn so if you come across a few George's ?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 18 queries.