World Families Forums - Calling Murphy's from County Wexford - Family Finder DNA test

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 02:30:46 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'M'
| | |-+  Murphy (Moderator: Nathan Murphy)
| | | |-+  Calling Murphy's from County Wexford - Family Finder DNA test
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Calling Murphy's from County Wexford - Family Finder DNA test  (Read 626 times)
genemonkey

« on: April 14, 2012, 02:00:01 AM »

I am descended from Murphys in County Wexford Ireland possibly near glenbrien/Enniscorthy and  am keen to connect with others from the same lineage.  It is very hard with such a common name like Murphy particularly in Wexford!  Sadly I have no one to do a ydna for me.  I would like to encourage any of you out there who have done the ydna, to also do the family finder test at familytreedna.com to help connect up to other branches of the family like me.!!

If your connections are in County Weford I go back to Maurice Murphy bef 1796 and his wife Margaret.  I am descended from their son James who came to Australia on the 'Hope' in 1841.

Please help.
Veronica
Australia

Genemonkey

Alice Springs, Australia.

dasmurphy@hotmail.com

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 08:42:23 PM »

My MURPHY ancestors came to Australia from the townland of Bog West near Mayglass in County Wexford, Ireland.  Dennis MURPHY, son of Phillip MURPHY and Mary LAMPORT, emigrated from Ireland with his spouse, Jane Elizabeth MURPHY (nee WHEELOCK), and children on the clipper ship 'Shalimar' arriving in Victoria, Australia, on 9 February 1855.  Dennis was about 43 years of age when he arrived.  Dennis MURPHY had been a farmer in Ireland and he became a cab proprietor in Melbourne, Victoria.  

Dennis and Jane MURPHY are buried in the Melbourne General Cemetery, Victoria. Their children were William James (13 years), Mary (10 years), Philip Charles (7 years), James (4 years) and Jane Elizabeth (infant).  Only William James MURPHY and his brother James MURPHY had children in Australia.  Philip Charles MURPHY died in Greymouth, New Zealand.  

I (Daryl MURPHY) am a great grandson of William James MURPHY (c1841-1909), grandson of George Davidson MURPHY (1880-1933) and son of George 'Lionel' MURPHY (1914-1976).

The last MURPHY to have lived at house 2 in Bog West, County Wexford, was Mary MURPHY who, at the time of the 1911 Census of Ireland (according to the National Archives of Ireland), was aged 69 years.  In 1911, Mary - who never married - lived with her brother-in-law, James KING, a widower aged 55 years, and his son, James KING aged 20 years. James KING had married Bridget MURPHY (daughter of John MURPHY, farmer) on1 Feb 1883.  Bridget KING (nee MURPHY) died some time between 1890 and 1901.

Phillip MURPHY b c1793 Co Wexford, Ireland d 1867 Co Wexford m Mary LAMPORT/LAMBERT
Dennis MURPHY bapt 3 Dec 1812 Mayglass, Co Wexford d 18 Nov 1895 Woodstock, Victoria, Australia m Jane Elizabeth WHEELOCK
William James MURPHY bapt 14 Nov 1841 Mayglass d 17 Jul 1909 Woodstock m Sarah HARRISON
George Davidson MURPHY b 1 Apr 1880 Woods Point, Victoria d 1Sep 1933 Prahran, Victoria m Annie DOYLE
George Lionel MURPHY b 1 Dec 1914 Albert Park, Victoria d 26 Oct 1976 m Margaret May POWELL

Keen to hear from anyone who can connect with my Wexford Murphys.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 02:52:48 AM by dasmurphy@hotmail.com » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 18 queries.