World Families Forums - Getting former DNA-Forums users here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 06:28:03 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Getting former DNA-Forums users here
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting former DNA-Forums users here  (Read 1191 times)
Arch Y.
Old Hand

« on: March 31, 2012, 02:02:22 AM »

I know some of you like to keep the World Families "low key", but there's a lot of value of having additional opinions and inputs. Besides contacting known e-mails, what are the options for redirecting folks over to World Families if they attempt to search for dna-forums? Or do we just hope they eventually find their way here?

Arch
samIsaack
Old Hand

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 04:21:27 AM »

Maybe facebook?? I know a few people are on there.. Stephen Parrish, razyn and Aaron1981 are anyways. Of course Stephen and razyn are already here. I'm wondering if Daspit, L.D. Brousse, Didier are on here? I know I still feel scattered and out of place.. the forums definitely spoiled me.

The molgen site seems to be somewhat of dud. I know people like R1a1a, Mikewhalen and Yorkie are on there. I think alanr1b mentioned the possibility of everyone breaking off and forming smaller groups, which will eventually lose interest and die off. That seems to be whats happening.

Y-Dna: R1b-SRY2627

Mtdna: J1c8
Curtis Pigman(Pigmon)
Old Hand

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 09:43:24 PM »

I am a former DNA-Forum user and I have started to feel quite at home here.  I think I will stay here.

R1b1a2a1a1b3c3a L2+ Z49+ Z142+ Z150/Z12222+ (L20-,L196-,and L562-)
ysearch.org ID ZHHCY

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 07:36:52 AM »

Never mind.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 07:18:14 PM by rms2 » Logged

Schwarzburg-Sondershausen

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 10:01:39 AM »

rms2- I really enjoyed interacting with some of the people on DNA-Forums. I wish I had some way of staying in touch with some of them. I am pretty new to this DNA stuff and could always count on some of the folks over there to answer my sometimes boneheaded questions. Unlike some, I was raised to be polite and have manners and don't enjoy rudeness and foul language. Call me naive but I still think folks can disagree without obnoxiousness and still be friends at the end of the day. I haven't been on this forum for very long but folks here seem civil. This forum doesn't seem to get the traffic the other one did. What on this forum reminds you of what you considered bad on DNA-Forums?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:02:09 AM by Schwarzburg-Sondershausen » Logged
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 07:21:03 PM »

Never mind.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 07:17:57 PM by rms2 » Logged

SEJJ

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 08:41:09 AM »

Hi there,
Bit of a late reply to the thread - I was a minor user on DNA forums (shame it's gone down) and am also on the molgen site - I was 'Drishgan' on DNA forums and am 'Jackson' on the molgen site 'A Genetic Genaeology Community'. I just stumbled across this forum yesterday and it looks great, small but jam-packed full of interesting discussions (I found the one regarding the R1b Bell-Beakers very interesting). Anyway i look forward to hopefully participating in this community, or at least watching while you the experts battle it out :].

It's a shame that the community seems to have fragmented a bit, although i've only been keeping up with this for less than two years it seems DNA-forums was a real hub despite the rougher edges, i just hope people form another similar community without ruining the setup you have here.

It's quite interesting at how secluded some of these communities are, it's no wonder that quite a few people can follow a brief interest in these topics and never see these valuable discussions, although i'm glad to hear that Jean M is working on a book, and of course the various blogs and articles that you do see are all valuable.

It's kind of amusing and worrying at the same time when old (apparently debunked?) theories such as R1b being aboriginal to western Europe and being thought of as one group is still being pumped out by mainstream television programmes. I understand it is still a contentious topic with many people though. I hope a few more highly publicized articles or other publications with strong scientific backing will help modernize the mainstream side of things. As someone who has just walked in from outside so to speak, it is easy to understand why there is a lot of confusion among the public who do have an interest in history, constantly being told opposites as new data comes to light.

I think the fact that in fields like this any sizable publication can be pretty much out of date by the time of it's publication means that while it's got official clout behind it, it isn't necessarily accurate two or three years (or less) down the line, but likewise a continuous stream of information like a blog, although containing academic studies, doesn't have the official clout of more well-known and appraised publications.

Apologies for the essay, got a bit off-track, but it seems like a bit of a vicious circle. Anyway i look forward to being here, and i'm enjoying reading through the threads!

Kind Regards,
Sam Jackson
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 08:42:16 AM by SEJJ » Logged

Y-DNA: I1*
MT-DNA: U5a1b4

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 18 queries.