World Families Forums - Jewish DNA

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 10:54:58 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Jewish DNA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jewish DNA  (Read 455 times)
bubala58

« on: March 19, 2012, 11:43:32 PM »

I've been trying to do genealogy on my Jewish side of the family and I have hit a major road block. I've been thinking of trying to get my dad to do the DNA test.

My problem is that the last name is Breen. They were not from Ireland. They were from the Ukraine. My great grandparents said the name was never changed. My thought was when the Jews had to take surnames, they probably just took one that sounded right. I can not find any other Jews with that name nor have I ever found any other stuff to be able to trace them.

Would the DNA be helpful? and would the DNA be able to show us what clan we actually belong to? I'm trying to figure out if it would be really worth it to have him do the DNA test.

Thanks
David Burns

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 10:25:04 AM »

My wife through her Maternal Grandmother is Jewish. She traced her name back to 1700s Amsterdam (Whenever Napollean took charge )
She found that her people were forced to take a Surname. She found a copy of the document where they had for themselves and children chosen the name Buijtekant. They simply chose the name of the little area Outside (=Buijtekant) the city.
The problem is that a brother of these people from another small village would have probably chosen another name.   So Surnames stop at that point in time.
My wife is having a DNA test done as we speak.  She feels it is her only hope of finding far off kin.  They will probably have many differant Surnames.

She has found kin in the US, England, Israel.  Hundreds? of her kin in Holland and Germany simply dissappeared in the 30s-40s.

I don't mean to sound like a DNA salesman but I believe it is one of the best ways to locate relatives as things stand now in the world.

Good Hunt n
Dave.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 18 queries.