World Families Forums - From dna-forums.org?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 27, 2014, 11:56:38 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  From dna-forums.org?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: From dna-forums.org?  (Read 3352 times)
thetick

« on: March 11, 2012, 01:33:39 AM »

I'm curious who's here because dna-forums.org is down.  If so where is everyone?

YDNA: R1b-SRY2627
MtDNA: H5a1f
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 11:15:18 AM »

I came here from dna-forums, gee, let's see, back in early 2009, I think.

"Hate" is too strong a word for how I feel about dna-forums, but it was the closest approximation you offered in the poll, so that's how I voted. I helped get that web site off the ground and recruited most of the original posters back in 2006. It rapidly went south from there, but I won't say anymore. Best forgotten.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 11:29:04 AM »

I'm curious who's here because dna-forums.org is down.  If so where is everyone?

I understand one of the former denizens of dna-forums has set up an alternative web site. It has about 100 members so far, so maybe that's where most of them have gone.

They're talking about it over at FTDNA's forum, so I won't bother posting the link here.

thetick

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 11:49:09 PM »

If you mean
http://s4.zetaboards.com/Sciences_and_History/index
that site have been around for long time.  Very few people there and more from 23andme then the regulars from dna-forums.org.

The other link was this site.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 11:49:24 PM by thetick » Logged

YDNA: R1b-SRY2627
MtDNA: H5a1f
warwick

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 10:36:45 AM »

If you mean
http://s4.zetaboards.com/Sciences_and_History/index
that site have been around for long time.  Very few people there and more from 23andme then the regulars from dna-forums.org.

The other link was this site.

I set it up last year as an alternative to dna-forums, recruiting some posters directly, as well as a few well-known scientists who rarely post on public sites. The site has some potential, because:

1. zetaboards is free
2. the site is not public (i.e. you must login) so scientists or others may be willing to post

Admittedly, however, the roots web dna list and this site already have a much larger audience.

At the moment, we now have three sites:
1. World families
2. FTDNA forums
3. rootsweb DNA list

plus the forum I set up
------------------------------

One more point: the scope of that forum is intended to be greater than genetic genealogy, and include history, science, and archaeology.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 11:25:42 AM by warwick » Logged
warwick

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 11:59:45 AM »

Other former members of dna-forums are proposing to setup another site hosted by independent servers.

I will send out a mass email to the membership of the zetaboards site if and when that happens.
supertigerCH

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 11:56:06 AM »

Originally... I came here just because dna-forums went down, and this site was recommended on FT DNA forums as an alternative.

However... after joining this website/forum, I find this online community to be quite nice as well.  I plan to keep my account here at "World Families" even if dna-forums comes back up (I will use both).

Y-DNA: N-L551
mtDNA: H11a
Arch Y.
Old Hand

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 01:32:44 AM »

I will be doing the same. I am curious as to what happened. Though my understanding there may have been funding issues as well, possible health issues with the admin. If it's down for good, then what a shame as it would have been a great archive for all the postings, references, blogs, etc. Now all that is lost it seems.

Arch
samIsaack
Old Hand

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 05:09:40 AM »

I will be doing the same. I am curious as to what happened. Though my understanding there may have been funding issues as well, possible health issues with the admin. If it's down for good, then what a shame as it would have been a great archive for all the postings, references, blogs, etc. Now all that is lost it seems.

Arch

Very unfortunate indeed. I never thought I would see the forums go down the way it has. From what I've heard it seems to be more technical than anything. I'm guessing the higer-ups are probably going to have restart from scratch. I read somewhere that someone had spoken to George and that he had mentioned the site not returning anytime soon..

Y-Dna: R1b-SRY2627

Mtdna: J1c8
faulconer

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 03:28:22 PM »

I have a domain I purchased a while back when I noticed that dna-forums was unstable. it's www.dna-reports.org. I have a forum application installed there on my server. If people would like to use that server and/or the domain it's available. I can turn on the forum if there is interest.
NK100

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 02:14:28 PM »

I was a member of DNA Forums for three years.  If it does not come back good luck to George.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 17 queries.