My maiden name is Patton. I tested my brother's dna and my 1st cousin on my father's side on FTDNA. At 37 markers, none of their Y-DNA matches came back as Pattons; they both matched Cain/Kane/Caine kits.
Through further dna testing, I have confirmed the following:
1) Them to their fathers, Gerald K. Patton and David H. Patton
2) Their fathers to their grandfather, Albert Homer Patton b) 1871 IL m) Alice Marticia Moore
3) Their grandfather to their great-grandfather, David Henderson Patton b) 1843 MO m) Martha Jane Ensminger
4) Their g-grandfather to their gg-grandfather, George Washington Patton b) 1819 OH m) Nancy Henderson
5) Their gg-grandfather to their ggg-grandfather, Matthew Patton b) 1780 VA m) M. Isabella Cockburn
I believe I have found Matthew's father to be John Patton b) 1747 VA m) Mary "Polly" Rodgers. Is there an "easy" way to find living descendants of this John Patton so I can test my brother's dna against theirs to prove back one more generation? This John Patton lived in Brock's Gap, VA, with two Cain neighbors, so I'm thinking this is where SOMETHING happened and either a Patton was raised as a Cain or a Cain was raised as a Patton. I SO want to unearth the truth, if it is possible.
Thank you for your consideration.