World Families Forums - Alcohol Cravings and Family Finder (rs1799971)

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 26, 2014, 06:22:56 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Autosomal Block DNA Testing - "Family Finder" and "Relative Finder"
| | |-+  Alcohol Cravings and Family Finder (rs1799971)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alcohol Cravings and Family Finder (rs1799971)  (Read 3360 times)
seferhabahir
Old Hand

« on: July 21, 2012, 01:38:45 PM »

Not sure that anyone would care to post their results on this one, but here goes.

According to SNPedia:

Carriers of at least one rs1799971(G) allele appear to have stronger cravings for alcohol than carriers of two rs1799971(A) alleles. Note the irony that having "AA" mean less risk for alcoholism.

I have AA at this location, and have a tendency to leave half-sipped glasses of scotch all over the house. Even though I like them, I never seem to want to finish them entirely.

Y-DNA: R-L21 (Z251+ L583+)

mtDNA: J1c7a

glentane

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 04:18:37 PM »

I'm shameless, so I'll play.
And contrary to all rational expectation,  on chr6, it's a double A, like you.

And to think I had the doc ticking me off last month over my liver/kidney/cholesterol results, and pushing the new, new UK "guidelines" on booze, which become more stringent with every passing year (thanks Nicola. Not.)

It used to be, when I started (illegally, of course), back in "Dr Finlay's Casebook" days, an alcoholic was someone who drank more than a doctor. Which I've never had the stamina for (used to apartment-share with medics and theatre nurses, for years and years. The horror, the horror!).

Might break out the homebrew gear again, if I can find the time.
I do like the odd ale or six, I confess. Spirits, only in desperation; illness, Hogmanay, or a bad day on the hill, etc. And wine with proper dinners, because I'm too embarrassed to act like a pleb, and have a pint of plain. Maybe I should.
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 05:43:25 PM »

Thanks for the info, seferhabahir.

I have "AA" there, as well.

I enjoy alcoholic beverages of various kinds, but I can go without them for long periods of time without hardly noticing.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 06:21:05 PM »

Thanks for the info, seferhabahir.

I have "AA" there, as well.

I enjoy alcoholic beverages of various kinds, but I can go without them for long periods of time without hardly noticing.

I must confess, though, that lately I have been getting a craving for a bottle of Christian Brothers brandy or maybe some Evan Williams whiskey.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:22:52 PM by rms2 » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 18 queries.