World Families Forums - Gedmatch

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 05:49:50 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Autosomal Block DNA Testing - "Family Finder" and "Relative Finder"
| | |-+  Gedmatch
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gedmatch  (Read 4161 times)
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« on: February 19, 2012, 04:56:02 PM »

I am able to play around with Gedmatch now, after inputting my raw data and gedcom yesterday.

Gedmatch was recommended to me by F James here on another thread.

The first thing I tried was its eye color predictor, which is supposed to predict eye color based on autosomal dna. It warns you that it works better with 23andMe results than with FTDNA's Family Finder, but it predicted my eye color is blue, which is right, so I cannot complain.

I am going to try the other functions, as well.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 08:50:45 PM »

Gedmatch has a new way of computing admixture using population models from the Magnus Ducatus Lituaniae Project.

Do I fully understand how it works? No!

But here is what I got at K=12.

Population
East_European 16.1%
Paleo_Mediterranean 11.5%
Iberian 12.7%
Caucasian 4.2%
Uralic_Permic 1.9%
Balto_Finnic 6.4%
Paleo_Balkanic 1.7%
Celto_Germanic 40.2%
Paleo_North_European 1.8%
South_Central_Asian 1.7%
Volga_Uralic 1.6%
Altaic_Turkic 0.2%

Mike Forsythe

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 10:41:41 PM »

what is the link to Magnus Ducatus Lituaniae Project....
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 06:46:35 AM »

what is the link to Magnus Ducatus Lituaniae Project....

Just go to gedmatch.com and scroll down until you see Magnus Ducatus Lituaniae Project (MDLP). Beneath it you will see "Admixture Proportions".

Of course, you have to have your raw data uploaded to gedmatch before you can use any of its stuff.

Mike Forsythe

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 01:22:53 PM »

Thanks... Rich
razyn
Old Hand

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 12:16:06 AM »

I just got around to running the MDLP test, at three different levels (K=5, 8, and 12), and found it pretty entertaining.  I'm still not sure what I have learned.  But in playing around on the Gedmatch site for the first time (I uploaded my 23andMe results about 6 weeks ago), I noticed something on the start page, to wit:

Show results that match on a given chromosome segment NEW

I wonder if anyone has figured out a way to use that feature to mine 23andMe results (which, unlike FTDNA's more strictly autosomal Family Finder, actually look at some of the Y chromosome) for SNPs?  Their positions are known, from Gbrowse.  It could be a sort of poor man's "Walk Through (some of) the Y."  The interface doesn't let me select "Y," instead of the numbered chromosome it's asking for -- but I'll bet there's a way to finesse that, if we just knew the trick.  I picked up a hint of it in a message from Ted Kandell to the Hg G Yahoo group (last November):

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Y-DNA-G2c/message/607

I'm fairly sure that was before Gedmatch set up this new feature.  And what Ted suggested in November '11 doesn't quite work, in May '12.  (There seem not to be the requisite "modals" present -- in his example, for haplogroup G.)  Nevertheless, it is an idea whose time may be nigh... in case any of the more agile minds that read this forum would like to give it a try.

If someone could set it up to look for SNP matches (in segments tested by 23andMe) with someone (with a Gedmatch kit number) already tested positive for the said SNP, wouldn't that report as a "cluster" the other people in the Gedmatch DB who have that SNP?  I realize that's pretty hit or miss -- SNP coverage on the chip, and sample coverage in terms of who has uploaded to Gedmatch.  But it seems to me, any hits might be inherently useful.

R1b Z196*
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 01:45:57 PM »

That sounds intriguing. Of course, I don't have any 23andMe results to play with.

I keep getting new Family Finder matches, some of them relatively close (3rd-4th cousin), but most of them don't list any surnames. I get the impression they used Family Finder as a kind "shot in the dark". It's made darker by their failure to list any family surnames.

It's fun to play with Gedmatch, especially the admixture stuff.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 01:46:29 PM by rms2 » Logged

dave7711

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 08:24:55 AM »

on gedmatch I have run all the admiture results including Dodecad, Harrapaworld, and Eurogenes. They keep listing French at the top of the list. Now my know ancestry is 1/8 French but I am wondering if this signifies a greater amount on other lines. My great grandfather was born illegitimate so we dont know the name of his father but there is a rumor he was from Alsace Lorraine. What does the French designation mean in this context? Or should it be looked upon merely as an average between say German ancestry and British?
spanjool

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 03:10:47 AM »

on gedmatch I have run all the admiture results including Dodecad, Harrapaworld, and Eurogenes. They keep listing French at the top of the list. Now my know ancestry is 1/8 French but I am wondering if this signifies a greater amount on other lines. My great grandfather was born illegitimate so we dont know the name of his father but there is a rumor he was from Alsace Lorraine. What does the French designation mean in this context? Or should it be looked upon merely as an average between say German ancestry and British?

Your parental haplogroup will be significant as well as your mtDNA (both in 23andm3).
Hans

R1b-Z220*
spanjool

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 03:27:13 AM »

Aside from the possible future usage of the Y-chromosome SNPs within 23andme also the autosomal snp details together with haplogroup info (Y and mt DNA) will be helpful especially if one is places more downstream within a sub clade.
The founder and his (wife)s started a particular pattern that is either diluted by out-breeding or made relative persistent by ín'-breeding.
The starting groups of sub clades were mostly composed of compact bands.

Comparing f.e. the MDLP K=12 admixture proportions within members of a end sub clade could be informative.

In a next step the individual chromosome could be used for comparative studies.

I did a try out study with results of myself and my son.
Aside from the beautiful chromosome painted charts it does give inspiration for directions in genetic genealogical studies.
Hans

R1b-Z220*
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 09:02:50 AM »

I have found my own MDLP results very interesting. What was surprising to me was the eastern components, given that all of the family lines I know about are western European, and almost all of them are from the British Isles.

You can see the results in my signature (below), but here they are again in descending order:

Celto_Germanic 40.2%
East_European 16.1%
Iberian 12.7%
Paleo_Mediterranean 11.5%
Balto_Finnic 6.4%
Caucasian 4.2%
Uralic_Permic 1.9%
Paleo_North_European 1.8%
Paleo_Balkanic 1.7%
South_Central_Asian 1.7%
Volga_Uralic 1.6%
Altaic_Turkic 0.2%

The total of the clearly western results is 52.9%. The total of the clearly eastern results is a surprising 33.8%, accounting for at least one third of my autosomal dna.

I did not put "Paleo-Mediterranean" or "Paleo-North-European" in either category, since it is not clear which category they belong in.

Mike Forsythe

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 01:28:34 PM »

what is Celto Germanic 40.2% other than western European?
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 07:50:53 PM »

what is Celto Germanic 40.2% other than western European?

I'm not sure what populations they used to get that figure.

Mike Forsythe

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 10:08:57 PM »

Here are two Gedmatch groups you can join to find autosomal matches in Ireland...The one is called An Falcarragh (crossroads) and the other West Cork/Kerry. The admin is the same for both projects, so request to join both at the same time. If you have matches in one or both of these areas you will be accepted to join one or both, depending on your matches.  An Falcarragh (Crossroads)

I just see that a Leinster group has been added
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 18 queries.