World Families Forums - Family Finder Results - Let's Discuss This Stuff!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 08:57:08 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Autosomal Block DNA Testing - "Family Finder" and "Relative Finder"
| | |-+  Family Finder Results - Let's Discuss This Stuff!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Family Finder Results - Let's Discuss This Stuff!  (Read 15495 times)
seferhabahir
Old Hand

« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2012, 12:53:41 AM »

Up to 1309 matches at last count. Not really sure what to do with such a large number, and am now looking forward more to seeing my Geno 2.0 results as well as my cousin's results, and maybe hoping that FTDNA's Population Finder fine tuning will eventually provide more interesting interpretations.

Y-DNA: R-L21 (Z251+ L583+)

mtDNA: J1c7a

djm3808

« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2012, 03:24:04 AM »

I received results yesterday, several weeks early.

PF results:
Western European, Orcadian 92.98%
Middle East, Palestinian, Adygei, Bedouin, Bedouin South, Druze, Iranian, Jewish   7.02%

221 matches and I don't recognise many surnames, going to take some work contacting some of them to share more info.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:42:12 AM by djm3808 » Logged

Y-Dna R-DF13
mtDNA-W
seferhabahir
Old Hand

« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2013, 04:17:42 AM »

Too bad this board is not more active. I am now up to an amazingly large 1405 Family Finder matches, among them Bennett Greenspan, Max Blankfeld, Elise Friedman (or else their relatives), someone I went to high school with in the 1960's, and someone from my local neighborhood synagogue. I doubt that I could place any of them on my family tree since these relations likely go back several hundreds of years. It's still fun anyway.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2013, 12:35:16 PM »

Too bad this board is not more active. I am now up to an amazingly large 1405 Family Finder matches, among them Bennett Greenspan, Max Blankfeld, Elise Friedman (or else their relatives), someone I went to high school with in the 1960's, and someone from my local neighborhood synagogue. I doubt that I could place any of them on my family tree since these relations likely go back several hundreds of years. It's still fun anyway.

I keep picking up more matches, too: most of them pretty weak, but some not too bad. Most of these newer matches don't list any surnames at all. Those that do either don't share any with me that I know about or share some that are so remote that they are unlikely to represent the genetic connection.

But, like you said, it's fun anyway.

Mike Forsythe

« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2013, 09:23:22 AM »

Yesterday I had 14 pages of matches on my Family Finder list, today I noticed I have 11 pages. As some of the old matches don’t show up, and 6 new matches have been added... Has anyone else experienced this?
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2013, 01:33:42 PM »

I just seem to be getting more pages, but I'll watch for that. Last I looked, I had 37 pages of matches.

seferhabahir
Old Hand

« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2013, 01:52:07 PM »

Yesterday I had 14 pages of matches on my Family Finder list, today I noticed I have 11 pages. As some of the old matches don’t show up, and 6 new matches have been added... Has anyone else experienced this?

I lost 150 matches yesterday, down to 1255 from 1405. Also my previous closest match (who was listed as a 2nd cousin) has dropped to a remote cousin. They have apparently revised their formulas.

Mike Forsythe

« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2013, 02:27:54 PM »

One would think my 6 new matches should have been added prior to eliminating the others regardless...

I am going to contact FTDNA and find out "whats-up" I found some good connections on the one that was eliminated, that I couldn't have done had I not had it...
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »

One would think my 6 new matches should have been added prior to eliminating the others regardless...

I am going to contact FTDNA and find out "whats-up" I found some good connections on the one that was eliminated, that I couldn't have done had I not had it...

I just looked at mine and I now have 32 pages of matches. Like I said, I had 37 before. Let me know if you find out anything.

Mike Forsythe

« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2013, 03:54:07 PM »

will do...hoefuly I'll receive an answer soon.
djm3808

« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2013, 05:51:14 PM »

I don't know the exact count but I had about a page and a half of 3rd cousins, now down to half page, didn't lose any one I had been able to connect with but it makes you wonder.

Y-Dna R-DF13
mtDNA-W
Mike Forsythe

« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2013, 02:32:15 PM »

I just looked at mine and I now have 32 pages of matches. Like I said, I had 37 before. Let me know if you find out anything.

I would imagine this was quite time consuming, and has a lot to do with the log-jam we have experiencing in the delay in receiving results...this would mean FTDNA would have to go through all Family Finder autosomal results files, I would think to upgrade from build 36 to build37..

If you go to your “New Bata Page” you will find the following...

February 24, 2013. Thank you for your patience as we work out the last kinks in the Family Finder build 36 to build 37 upgrade process. We have noted problems with some kits in the testing process. These kits will be re-run and added back into matching in the next week. Meanwhile, you may notice that some of your matches even in the immediate category are missing from your match list. If the data indicates they are accurate matches, they will reappear on your list once all the final adjustments have been made.
With the upgrade, you may notice some differences with your matches. Build 37 has refined scientific knowledge of centiMorgan (cM) values. Thus, the number of matches in the speculative range has been reduced by eliminating false positives. As always, keep in mind that matches in the speculative range may be legitimate distant matches, where distant could mean hundreds of years, or they may be irrelevant matches created by “noise”—small coincidental matching segments that create the illusion of matching. The industry-standard build allows us to more accurately distinguish between real matches and "noise." Even some of your closer matches may move somewhat to more accurately reflect their genetic relationship to you. We will continue to work on improving our matching algorithm to give you more accurate results. Again, we thank you for your patience during this process.
However, if you notice anything that you believe is an error, please let us know by using our Feedback Form or by contacting helpdesk@familytreedna.com.
Bennett Greenspan
Max Blankfeld

Mike Forsythe

« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2013, 02:45:25 PM »

I am not sure how FTDNA can determine that one of my lost matches also confirms paper-trail, yet is considered “noise”
The overall cMs was around 40 with the largest segment around 8... not a close match, but it was reliable..
seferhabahir
Old Hand

« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2013, 03:57:48 AM »

Time to liven up the thread...

A new 12, 25, and 37 marker Y-DNA match to me showed up on April 26th. At 37 markers this person is a GD 3 to me, but an exact match to one of my fellow L583+ folks (Burde). I encouraged him (well, the person handling this new match's tests) to test for L583 last week.

Today, I discovered that my new match's sister is listed as a 4th cousin (by extension my new match would be also) in Family Finder, with a matching segment that is pretty consistent with a 4th (or 5th) cousin. This may mean he and I share the same g-g-g-grandfather (or same g-g-g-g-grandfather).

I am only able to trace to my g-g-grandfather, and then hit a wall, so this would be a real breakthrough if I can find a geographic link and a SNP match. I'm going to try to make a stronger case for them to test (heck, I would even pay for it, given the potential for having a genealogical L583 connection).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 05:26:59 AM by seferhabahir » Logged

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2013, 08:14:29 AM »

Time to liven up the thread...

A new 12, 25, and 37 marker Y-DNA match to me showed up on April 26th. At 37 markers this person is a GD 3 to me, but an exact match to one of my fellow L583+ folks (Burde). I encouraged him (well, the person handling this new match's tests) to test for L583 last week.

Today, I discovered that my new match's sister is listed as a 4th cousin (by extension my new match would be also) in Family Finder, with a matching segment that is pretty consistent with a 4th (or 5th) cousin. This may mean he and I share the same g-g-g-grandfather (or same g-g-g-g-grandfather).

I am only able to trace to my g-g-grandfather, and then hit a wall, so this would be a real breakthrough if I can find a geographic link and a SNP match. I'm going to try to make a stronger case for them to test (heck, I would even pay for it, given the potential for having a genealogical L583 connection).

Awesome!

I hope this turns out to be a real breakthrough for you.

seferhabahir
Old Hand

« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2013, 05:53:02 PM »

After the latest batch of tests, my matches now up to 1681, my cousin's matches now up to 1760. Most are remote cousin noise, but quite a few have promise to demonstrate real relationships.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2013, 08:06:20 PM »

Here's a heads-up. It looks like FTDNA churned out some Family Finder stuff today. You may want to check for new matches.

I have six new ones, three of them pretty good, including one that is now topping my list.

seferhabahir
Old Hand

« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2013, 11:42:01 AM »

Here's a heads-up. It looks like FTDNA churned out some Family Finder stuff today. You may want to check for new matches.

I have six new ones, three of them pretty good, including one that is now topping my list.

I now have another cousin's results (a 2nd cousin 1x removed to me) to compare with my original one (a 3rd cousin to me). Those two are 1st cousins 1x removed and have a whopping 697 cM shared with many matching segments over 40 cM. I'm trying to find the segments that link us all to the same ancestor, by trying to eliminate maternal line matching segments that are not at all related to me. Somewhat difficult via the chromosome browser, but I do know our common ancestor is an R2 which narrows it down a little bit.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:17:09 AM by seferhabahir » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 17 queries.