World Families Forums - Success! Found Family!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 27, 2014, 05:19:48 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Autosomal Block DNA Testing - "Family Finder" and "Relative Finder"
| | |-+  Success! Found Family!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Success! Found Family!  (Read 1323 times)
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« on: February 21, 2012, 08:06:04 PM »

Got my first confirmed Family Finder cousin (4th cousin, I think) yesterday evening. We are related on our mutual Holmes family line out of Pike County, Mississippi, with our immigrant ancestor, Elisha Holmes (b. 1773), having come originally to Georgia from Northern Ireland.

We're still working out the details, but this is pretty cool, and this lady contacted me first; I didn't have to go hunting her down.

Neat to know I still have some of that Holmes dna floating around in my body.

I recommend FTDNA's Family Finder test.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:06:46 PM by rms2 » Logged

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 08:44:47 PM »

A slight correction: it turns out we are 5th cousins. We share the same 4th great grandparents, one of whom, Elisha Holmes, was born 06 July 1773 in Northern Ireland.

Family Finder predicted that our match means we are 5th cousins, and that is the case, which we were able to establish via the paper trail.

Awesome!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 09:01:08 PM by rms2 » Logged

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 08:26:40 AM »

This lady, my 5th cousin, has one of our lines (Stovall) traced back to the 17th-century immigrant, who was born in Surrey, England. I did not have that information. There's another obvious benefit I have gotten from the Family Finder test.

She and I may be double 5th cousins, as well, but I still have to confirm that. Her 3rd great grandfather Josiah and my 3rd great grandfather Benjamin were brothers. Both of them married women who had the surname Sumrall, and I suspect they were sisters. If they were, then this lady and I are 5th cousins on two lines.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 09:10:09 PM »

I think I am on the verge of linking up with another Family Finder match. Of course, a lot depends upon whether I hear from this individual or not. Anyway, we are predicted by FTDNA to be 4th cousins. We share 38.31 cM of autosomal dna, with the longest block being 15.15 cM.

He and I share a surname in our surnames list, and if I am right, we share a 5th great grandfather on that line, which would make us 6th cousins. That's stretching back to a man born in 1723, but we share some dna somehow, and that looks like a firm connection.

Right now I am not sure of the source for the pedigree, since up until I saw this man's gedcom, I could not get this line beyond my 3rd great grandfather. I found the possible connection by searching pedigrees on the internet, to be quite honest. I'm thinking the information is probably pretty good, since this man and I have a genetic match, but I would feel better if I knew the source of the online pedigree I found.

Anyway, Family Finder is cool. I wish everyone would do it. At least the people who are already involved in genetic genealogy on the y-dna and/or mtDNA sides should do it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 09:16:08 PM by rms2 » Logged

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 04:27:09 PM »

I think I am on the verge of linking up with another Family Finder match. Of course, a lot depends upon whether I hear from this individual or not. Anyway, we are predicted by FTDNA to be 4th cousins. We share 38.31 cM of autosomal dna, with the longest block being 15.15 cM.

He and I share a surname in our surnames list, and if I am right, we share a 5th great grandfather on that line, which would make us 6th cousins. That's stretching back to a man born in 1723, but we share some dna somehow, and that looks like a firm connection.

Right now I am not sure of the source for the pedigree, since up until I saw this man's gedcom, I could not get this line beyond my 3rd great grandfather. I found the possible connection by searching pedigrees on the internet, to be quite honest. I'm thinking the information is probably pretty good, since this man and I have a genetic match, but I would feel better if I knew the source of the online pedigree I found.

Anyway, Family Finder is cool. I wish everyone would do it. At least the people who are already involved in genetic genealogy on the y-dna and/or mtDNA sides should do it.

I believe this discovery also nets me still another 5th or 6th cousin with the same surname in her list. We have been trying to figure out where the connection is for the last week or so. Now I think we have it.

I should hear from her even if I don't hear from the man I mentioned in my last post above.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 07:39:07 PM »

!

I heard from this latest match today, and the connection is pretty much confirmed.

The ancestor we share is my 5th great grandfather and his 6th great grandfather. That makes us 6th cousins once removed.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, this ancestor, whose name was Edward Sparkman, was born in 1723 in Bertie County, North Carolina.

So, Family Finder can stretch pretty far back. I've already confirmed a 5th cousin whose connection to me is an ancestor who was born in 1773.

This is pretty cool. Now if I could just get a connection like that on my y-dna line.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:40:24 PM by rms2 » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 18 queries.