World Families Forums - Orkneys the neolithic centre of Britian

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 10, 2014, 01:31:49 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  Orkneys the neolithic centre of Britian
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Orkneys the neolithic centre of Britian  (Read 545 times)
A.D.
Old Hand

« on: January 05, 2012, 11:08:06 PM »

I just came across a large dig that's been going on since 2008  apparently there is a massive 'temple complex' dating to 3,000  b.c or earlier. This predates the largest stones of Stonehenge and It  is considered more important. It was put that the Orkney's and the north are now the largest and most complex British megalithic sites. One building  is the only multi- entrance neolithic building in Europe. The site consists of a dozen or so buildings surrounded by a 3m stone wall. these buildings were replaced by a single building towards the end of the neolithic/start of the bronze age.
(this was a bit vague I'm thinking 'copper age' as some call it but I think there is some difference of opinion amongst the experts) It is thought to indicate a change in religious practices. There has also be the discovery of a type of vole in the general area, that could have only been introduced by humans,  that comes from around Germany. I think this is adding strength to the idea of neolithic British people coming from the Rhineland area.  I think the DNA has suggested this (unless UI picked it up wrong. 
alan trowel hands.
Guru

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 09:28:08 AM »

From a human DNA point of view the conclusions drawn from this site are interesting in that they are further evidence of a major change in beliefs and society at the end of the Neolithic with an end to the theocracy that dominated Neolithic Britain, Ireland and apparently parts of Europe too. This change coincides with the arrival of metals and beakers.
A.D.
Old Hand

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 01:16:43 PM »

There seems to have been a 'closing feast' with 200 cattle slaughtered then it was filled in and a large single structure put in it's place. The pottery of the 'complex' stage is called 'grooved ware' and is thought to have originated in the Orkney's and spread south. I think this was all a bit early for Bronze age (proper) it seems to fit with the somewhat vague 'copper age'. I'm not sure a temple complex is proof of a population center it seems people could have come from far afield to construct or visit the place.
The theocracy could have made it possible they don't seem tied to a locality in the same way a king/tribal chief.
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 01:47:10 PM »

Speaking of "grooved ware" pottery, I remember reading awhile back that the site of Durrington Walls near Stonehenge had been burned down at one point. In the burnt levels they found grooved ware pottery. In the layers above that they found beakers. The article's author concluded that Durrington Walls had been attacked and burnt, presumably by Beaker Folk, who then took over the site.

A.D.
Old Hand

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 12:05:53 PM »

It seems the 'groove ware Orkadians' did the decommissioning them selves this could be the same case in Durrington Wells or an indication that the Beaker influence came from the South (S.W.) and a social/religious conversion spread northward. It could also be possible that the 'old order' broke down  (maybe crop failure or a run of bad luck) and was ousted and a conversion took place without population movement. The incoming of bronze (or Copper) must have been pretty impressive. Though I'm not sure of the dates i think there was a gap between the end of the Orkney Temple and the start of the Bronze age (proper).  Possibly Copper age incomers?   
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 18 queries.