World Families Forums - New paper on Armenian Y-DNA

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 10, 2014, 07:56:23 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  New paper on Armenian Y-DNA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New paper on Armenian Y-DNA  (Read 655 times)
seferhabahir
Old Hand

« on: November 16, 2011, 05:45:46 PM »

I can't access the whole paper, but the abstract is below.

Neolithic patrilineal signals indicate that the Armenian plateau was repopulated by agriculturalists

in European Journal of Human Genetics , (16 November 2011)

Kristian J Herrera, Robert K Lowery, Laura Hadden, Silvia Calderon, Carolina Chiou, Levon Yepiskoposyan, Maria Regueiro, Peter A Underhill and Rene J Herrera
Abstract

Armenia, situated between the Black and Caspian Seas, lies at the junction of Turkey, Iran, Georgia, Azerbaijan and former Mesopotamia. This geographic position made it a potential contact zone between Eastern and Western civilizations. In this investigation, we assess Y-chromosomal diversity in four geographically distinct populations that represent the extent of historical Armenia. We find a striking prominence of haplogroups previously implicated with the Agricultural Revolution in the Near East, including the J2a-M410-, R1b1b1*-L23-, G2a-P15- and J1-M267-derived lineages. Given that the Last Glacial Maximum event in the Armenian plateau occured a few millennia before the Neolithic era, we envision a scenario in which its repopulation was achieved mainly by the arrival of farmers from the Fertile Crescent temporally coincident with the initial inception of farming in Greece. However, we detect very restricted genetic affinities with Europe that suggest any later cultural diffusions from Armenia to Europe were not associated with substantial amounts of paternal gene flow, despite the presence of closely related Indo-European languages in both Armenia and Southeast Europe.

Y-DNA: R-L21 (Z251+ L583+)

mtDNA: J1c7a

MHammers
Old Hand

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 07:28:23 PM »

Dienekes has some updates.

They studied 4 regions.  R1b-L23 ranged from .16 to .36 in frequency and is the dominant hg and subclade except in the Sasun region where R2 and T are each slightly higher .  The Ararat valley had .05 M269.

Ydna: R1b-Z253**

Mtdna: T

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 08:40:50 PM »

They studied 4 regions.  R1b-L23 ranged from .16 to .36 in frequency and is the dominant hg and subclade except in the Sasun region where R2 and T are each slightly higher .  The Ararat valley had .05 M269.

Interesting.

I have an Armenian brother-in-law (a nice guy). I wonder if he is R-L23.

MHammers
Old Hand

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 12:29:39 AM »

Here is the supplemental info.

http://www.nature.com/ejhg/journal/vaop/ncurrent/suppinfo/ejhg2011192s1.html?url=/ejhg/journal/vaop/ncurrent/abs/ejhg2011192a.html

The median joining networks seem interesting for R1b M343, M269, and L23 compared among Armenian, Turkish, Caucasian, and European populations.  Is anyone able to make sense out of the connections and origin points of these networks?

Ydna: R1b-Z253**

Mtdna: T

seferhabahir
Old Hand

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 01:34:45 AM »

Interesting.

While I don't have known Armenian relatives, whenever I don't feel like being L21, I can transmogrify myself into a J2a-M410 since this is my maternal grandfather's haplogroup.

Y-DNA: R-L21 (Z251+ L583+)

mtDNA: J1c7a

Mike Walsh
Guru

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 07:02:09 PM »

They studied 4 regions.  R1b-L23 ranged from .16 to .36 in frequency and is the dominant hg and subclade except in the Sasun region where R2 and T are each slightly higher .  The Ararat valley had .05 M269.

Interesting.

I remember watching wrestling the Olympics and saw an Armenian wrestler.  I don't know if is height was similar, but I just remember thinking how much he looked like my brother. .... hopefully my brother is L21 though.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:45:35 AM by Mikewww » Logged

R1b-L21>L513(DF1)>L705.2
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 08:34:22 PM »

Interesting.

I remember watching wrestling the Olympics and saw an Armenian wrestler.  I don't if is height was similar, but I just remember thinking how much he looked like my brother. .... hopefully my brother is L21 though.

My brother-in-law looks like Joseph Stalin, only much bigger (Stalin was short). :-)

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 19 queries.